• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20802990 Kenmore 80 Series - Grinding Noise

ApplianceNovice

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi all,

My 80 Series washer recently started making noise during the agitation and the spin cycle. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I'm absolutely new to the appliance space, so I apologize if I use the incorrect terms for something, because I probably will...

During the agitation cycle it seems like it's grinding when trying to apply the clutch to drive the agitator. I've attached a video of this happening. If I hold the clothes away from the agitator trying to take load off of it the noise seems to get significantly quieter or go away.

It's also lately been tending to clump clothes on one side of the washer, which obviously results in loud banging on the spin cycle. I'm guessing (but I don't actually know) that the agitator noise means it's not operating properly and allowing it to clump.

Once it gets through the agitation cycle and if you un-clump it for the spin cycle, there's no issues at all with pumping the water out or spinning the water out of the clothes.

I've attached a video of the noise it makes during agitation, let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, you will need the agitator repair kit, seen this problem many times on my service calls.

Here's the agitator repair kit for your model:
285748 Long Cam Agitator Repair Kit

There is a video in that agitator repair kit part link.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ApplianceNovice

Premium Member
Thanks for the link! Maybe it's a silly question, but that link says the parts are for a Maytag/Whirlpool washer. Are the Kenmore washers the same?

ApplianceNovice

Premium Member
I removed the dust cap on my model to inspect the agitator dogs, they certainly don't look brand new, but I couldn't get them to slip at all while holding the lower agitator and attempting to spin the upper agitator. I'll run a cycle tonight with the cap removed and see if I can see anything!

IMG_20211217_092153633_HDR.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool owns Maytag. All Kenmore 110 models are made by Whirlpool.

Just watch the video, he shows you how to do it:

Jake

ApplianceNovice

Premium Member
Jake,

I tried to "test" the dog clutch system today and it seems to be operating correctly. In this video (sorry for the poor quality) in slow motion the dogs don't seem to be slipping at all on engagement and the noise seems to happen when the shaft moves in the counterclockwise direction, disengaging the dogs.

Here I applied torque to the agitator to attempt to keep the dogs engaged for a few cycles, to see if the noise still happens when the dogs aren't moving. It seems like keeping the dogs engaged doesn't change the noise at all. Am I right in thinking this rules out the dog clutch as the failure point? The noise seems to be coming from lower in the machine. Again, I have no knowledge of these systems so I may be misunderstanding the operation.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see now. Lets check your motor coupling next.

When you click the part link to the motor coupling below, you will see a video of how to access it to see if its broken.

Here's the motor coupling for your model you can order, if needed:
285753A Motor Coupling

If the motor coupler is fine, then it sounds like the transmission is the problem. Take the agitator off so you can see the splines on the shaft and start the washer. See if you can hold the transmission shaft with your hand around the splines.

The agitator shaft should be moving fast back and forth unless you have it in slow agitate. The reason to hold your hand on it is to make sure it doesn't stop agitating with your hand holding onto it.:)

Here's the transmission for your model:
3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission

Video Included in part link.

Jake