FIXED 110.20802990 Model 80 Water Leak

johnmsch

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My trusty old Model 80 (110.20802990) has developed a slow water leak at the front right corner of the plastic tub, coming off the bottom right corner of the brace as shown in the picture. It drips once about every 5 seconds while doing a load. I've done many a repair over the years on this machine, including hoses and the pump, but this one's got me stumped. Could this actually be a crack/puncture in the tub?

I have a video of it in action, but its in mp4 format from my iPhone, and I can't upload it here.

Thanks for any advise/tips!

IMG_3831.jpg

johnmsch

Premium Member
Sorry, just realized I posted this to the wrong forum. It should be in the Wahsers -> Sears Kenmore. I don't see any way to move it to that forum. Is there a way to do this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

I moved your thread to the Kenmore Washer forum.:)

Yes, check for hairline cracks in the plastic outer tub assembly.

You can upload your video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Also check to see if a stream of water is coming from the main tub seal that's located in the middle of your outer tub assembly and the water traveling to that area in your photo.

Here's the main tub seal for your model:
Tub Seal W10814296

Watch this video to replace it: Whirlpool/Kenmore Top-Load Washer Tub Seal Video

You'll need a spanner wrench to remove the inner tub: Spanner Wrench

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
For future reference, there's no way for us users to move a thread, even if its one we started?
Unfortunately no.

I can't tell where the leak is coming from. A flashlight and my big fat head won't fit in there.
Good video, but do you have any family members OR friends that can help you find that leak?

Jake

johnmsch

Premium Member
After doing a lot of searches, reading and watching videos, I decided to go ahead and pull the inner basket and tub to check the tub seal condition and see if there are any cracks in the tub.

However, the tub won't come out. I removed the spanner nut, but it feels like something else holds the inner basket in place. First video below shows me trying to pull the basket out and the sound like something is holding it in. Second video is a closeup of the center of the tub. There are like metal tabs at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Are those locking the tub in place?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/475w44yn2ve24lm/BasketWontComeOut.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gf4sfsljr99p72/The4Tabs.MOV?dl=0

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Videos John.:)

In your first video you need to grab the tub from the topside and wobble it back and forth while pulling it up at the same time. Click the part link to the inner tub below and you will show a video that shows you how to remove it.

The 2nd video, no those aren't locking tabs, but I did notice lots of rust forming on the inner tub stem, that rust will eventually cause that inner tub stem to break loose, then you'd need a new inner tub assembly.

Here's the inner tub assembly for your model:
Inner Tub W10389328

Jake

Last edited:

johnmsch

Premium Member
Can't thank you enough for the help Jake.
Sure enough, it was the tub seal. That old one was just about completely disintegrated. I managed to find one locally, just put everything back together and did a test run. No leaks!
Point taken on the inner tub. Once I got everything apart, the inside of the tub neck is about completely rusted. Added that to my to-do list. Looks like you guys are very reasonable with the price.

BTW, I ended up having to use a gear puller to get the tub out. No amount of shaking and pulling would break it loose. I took the spanner wrench and put it upside down over the tub neck. Then put the tub nut on the drive block, lifted up on the wrench and tightened it all the way. Used a 3-arm gear puller on the wrench with the center screw on the motor shaft. Kept tightening it down until I could feel the tub start to break free. After taking the tub out, it was obvious the drive block was stuck inside the tub neck with rust all around. In retrospect, I should have taken some pictures or a video of this to share.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John, good job, glad to hear you got the inner tub out and found the tub seal was leaking.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake