• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20852990 Kenmore Washer - I need help, spin cycle noise

ed in cny

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a noise during spin cycle that I thought was the neutral on the direct drive on my Kenmore washer. I bought the clutch along with the rebuild kit for the transmission and put the parts in. I replaced the clutch with new as this washer is very well used and I didn't want to have to replace it later. After all the work the issue is still there.

The issue is during spin cycle there is a ratcheting noise and if the agitator is pushed down the noise goes away. Without the push the noise is present and very loud. The video attached is of the same noise that someone else video taped and put on YouTube. It's the same noise I have. I'm now leaning to the drive block maybe.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ed, I'd remove the agitator and check your tub drive block.

Here's the tub drive block for this model:
Drive Block WP389140

There is a video in the tub drive block part link that shows you how to access it.

You can see the comparison here:

See the one on the left, its the old one, the one on the right is the new one. It has to have those 2 ear slots. Does yours look like the one on the left or right?

driveblock.jpg

Let us know.

Jake

ed in cny

Premium Member
I'm not sure. I haven't gotten to the part yet. I will nee the spanner wrench to do so. Can I see it from under the auger if I remove it? There just isn't much left to change or correct. If I can see it I will try to see what it looks like.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ed, with the agitator off you can see the comparison.

Jake

bencain

Premium Member
Exactly what ours was doing. I noticed that when the noise was happening, the agitator was catching/moving and slowing down the basket. Seemed like the agitate and spin modes were fighting each other. After taking the transmission apart, I found that the agitate cam and follower (plastic pieces that lift the agitate gear off its splines so the washer can spin) had worn and were no longer completely disengaging the agitate gear when the washer was trying to spin.

The cheap plastic part that needed to be replaced (which of course, I can't find anywhere) is whirlpool p/n 285206

Instead, Whirlpool wants to sell the entire shaft at >$100: p/n 389387. But installing the shaft requires opening and disassembling the transmission. If you're handy, it's not too bad and there are videos on how to do this (have about 500ml of gear oil and some liquid gasket material ready for the rebuild and be ready to clean out the sludge before reassembly).

If you'd rather skip all that, you can buy a new transmission for ~$200. p/n 3360629 (Although I just did this and the new transmission makes a lot of noise during agitate and drain. Spin works great again though.)