110.20892990 Agitates during spin cycle. Sort of

theripster

Premium Member
Model
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have not disassembled this machine yet. I just figured I would check a few things first since the customer could not really tell me anything about what the problem was. So I plugged it in. Put it in spin cycle and turned it on. It sounded as if it was still in agitate mode. So I opened the lid, bypassed the lid switch and turned it on again. It still sounded like it was in agitate mode, but nothing was moving. I used another piece of vacuum hose attached to the water level switch to simulate the water level and it agitates fine. Any idea what I should be looking for before I just start taking it apart?

As always. I want to thank you guys in advance. Your advice has always been spot on and saved my a lot of frustration.

theripster

Premium Member
Quick update. I removed the pump and tried it in both wash cycle and spin cycle. The motor shaft did reverse direction, so the motor is doing what it is supposed to do.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
So I plugged it in. Put it in spin cycle and turned it on. It sounded as if it was still in agitate mode.
You can't just put an older Whirlpool built direct-drive washer (like that model) immediately into spin. The transmission has to agitate first, then pause briefly, then when the motor starts up again the transmission will 'shift' into spin mode.

JFYI

Dan O.

theripster

Premium Member
Since I cannot hold pressure on the fill valve for an extended period of time. If I have it in agitate mode for about a minute and it is agitating, how long do I have to have it off before I can switch it to spin mode?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If I have it in agitate mode for about a minute and it is agitating, how long do I have to have it off before I can switch it to spin mode?
As soon as the motor comes to a complete stop. Once the motor starts up again the transmission should be in spin mode.

theripster

Premium Member
Well it definitely had time to come to a complete stop. I'm not that fast. So I have partially taken it down. I have the motor off and the transmission off. The clutch is extremely worn and I'm guessing that could be the problem. The motor coupler is badly worn too and if it wasn't a problem, it would be shortly. Not sure if I have a clutch here, but if I do I'll throw it in and see if it fixes it. I also checked to be sure that if I changed direction on the coupler that the tranny shaft would change direction too, and it does.

theripster

Premium Member
OK. here's what I ended up doing. I have another transmission here that I had repaired at some point in the past. So I put that transmission in, put it back together, and it works just like it is supposed to. So I guess I now have another transmission to mess around with when I get bored. I had a tranny problem way back when and ended up rebuilding it. When I posted about rebuilding it, I think it was Jake that said I am the only guy he knows that actually rebuilt one. I understand for repairmen time is the most valuable commodity, but for an old man with nothing but time on his hands and doing it at home. What the hell, why not. Thanks Dan O for the quick reply and valuable info on how they function.