• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.20922990 Kenmore 90 Series gets stuck in spin cycle and never completes

johnafton

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Model 110.20922990, purchased in 2000.

Hello, first time posting on the forum. Been battling a strange intermittent issue since November.

Symptoms
=======
There seem to be two places during a wash where the machine will not advance. One is the point where it needs to drain the rinse water and start the spin cycle, and the other is during the spin cycle. Sometimes we start a load and everything works fine for a while, then we check on it maybe a couple hours later and the clothes are sitting in a tub full of water, the dial is somewhere in the rinse/spin region of the dial and the machine is silent, not doing anything. At this point I try engaging the timer at various points of the dial and all I get are buzzing sounds. I manually drain and get the clothes out and then at some point during futzing around unplugging, spinning the dial to different cycles, etc., it starts working again. I start another load and this time it goes all the way to the final spin and never stops spinning. It "seems" like it usually shuts off if I manually advance past spin.

What I've tried
==========
It first happened last November and I found there was a broken motor speed switch and replaced it. The white plastic centrifugal switch lever has a pin that it pivots on and that was broken so it was loose and not making good connection to the contacts. There were burn marks and carbon deposits around the contacts. After replacement the machine worked pretty well but did stall once in a wash cycle and I had to monkey with it a bit. But we probably washed six or seven loads between then and now without further issues.

A couple days ago it started failing every time. I ordered a new timer and installed it but the problem was still there, no change. While testing, I usually jump the lid switch so that's not the problem. I suspected the fill switch so I've jumped that as well (to indicate either full or empty tub) but that doesn't alter the behavior as far as I can tell, so I think I've ruled out that switch unless it's just really flaky. Currently I can reproduce the problem over and over by starting the spin cycle, it will never complete, and when I check continuity in the fill switch, it looks good (pink wire connected to violet wire indicating the tub is empty). I inspected the motor speed switch I replaced last month and it operates correctly (checked pin continuity with white lever pressed and not pressed).

I inspected cables and connectors and they all seem to be in order. The motor, water pump, coupler, etc. all seem to be working fine. I looked in the speed selector switch and the contacts seem to be OK. There's dabs of brown color grease in there on the contacts, I guess that is normal?

Other possible suspects?
============

1. I haven't checked for an intermittently broken wire within the harness. Is this a common problem? If so, any pointers on how to check the harness for proper continuity?

2. Could I have gotten a second faulty timer? Seems unlikely since I bought a new part. Is there a good description somewhere of how to check the timer for faults?

3. Any other ideas with these symptoms?

Thanks much for any help on this conundrum!!
- John

johnafton

Premium Member
Sorry, I typed "motor speed switch" (twice) but I meant "motor start switch" in the description above.

johnafton

Premium Member
OK, the never ending spin cycle problem turned out to be my bonehead mistake of placing one of the wires to the motor start switch on the wrong terminal. I placed the white/black wire on the second from the top pin in the connector and it should have been the third from the top.

However, after getting the wiring right, I then had the exact same problem described (and solved) in the other thread posted by rgnprof:
I noticed that where the orange wire enters the motor start switch 'molex' connector, the plastic had a brown burned color to it. Turns out that wire was not making a good connection to the switch. When the washer was plugged in and the machine was supposed to be agitating but wasn't, I jiggled that orange wire a bit and then the motor kicked in and started agitating!

It must be the wire that controls the starting circuit with the capacitor for agitate mode. Now I need to figure out a permanent fix that makes sure that wire and the others are firmly connected to the motor start switch. Anyone have ideas on how to replace or improve that connector?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

Yes, do what I mentioned in my last post I replied in that thread. Just direct wire it to the motor switch where the orange wire goes.:)

Jake

johnafton

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I actually ended up attaching ALL the wires directly because if was still failing after doing just the orange one. I pulled all of them out of the connector and then tested sliding them onto the motor start switch copper tabs and they were all really loose! Now I've added new wire connectors on each wire and they fit tight on the tabs. Running a test wash now and so far, so good!

- John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John. good job. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake