• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20922990 Kenmore Direct Drive Washing Machine Severely Out of Balance

Sabot

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Model 110.20922990 Washing Machine. The machine empties but the clothes in the tub remained soaking wet. I removed the transmission. The top transmission seal was leaking and had fouled the clutch. I replaced the Transmission Washer Shaft Seal (Part # AP6008044) and replaced the oil (It was about half full of oil.) I used 90 weight oil and sealed the top to the transmission case with Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance Gasket Maker. I replaced the Clutch (Part #285785) and the Brake Cam Driver.

The clutch now engages & the washer spins. The problem is that it now acts like a load of clothes is severely out of balance. This occurs with or without clothes in the washing machine. The excess tub movement is toward the right rear and is very predictable. It is way worse on the Heavy Load setting than the Delicate setting. The tub is acting like a severely out of balance wheel on a car.

I replaced the front 2 suspension springs. (Part # WP63907). This has not really helped the problem. What is my next step? Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Sounds like possibly the suspension plate got twisted out of place when you removed and replaced the transmission.

Read this thread here and check that first:

Jake

Sabot

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

Thank you very much for you fast reply. The video you referred me to was a great help! I was really having difficulty understanding the exact location of the suspension plate. (water shield messed with my mind)

The suspension plate was in the correct position the whole time. The pads were all OK, but worn slick. I roughed them up with sandpaper. (I don’t think that is the problem as the washer worked fine before the clutch/seal problem.) I also replaced the 3rd drum suspension spring.

I had the washer laying on its back when I installed the transmission with motor attached. The drum, transmission, and heavy motor came down very hard on installation. (Wish I had installed the motor separately instead of following the YouTube video.)

I have attached a video of the spin cycle to help with further diagnosis. When clothes are in the washer it is even worse. What is my next step? Thank you so much for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's completely normal.:)

Jake