• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20922990 Kenmore (Whirlpool) 90 Series Washing Machine Making a Grinding Noise

BigPhoneDaddy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I just finished repairing my Kenmore (Whirlpool) 90 Series Washing Machine that stopped agitating. I found that Motor Coupling was bad and just replaced this evening as well as the Clutch, just in case.

I replaced with the following parts:

Motor Coupling 285753A Whirlpool OEM Part #285753A

Clutch 285785 Whirlpool OEM Part #285785

Now the machine spins and agitates, but makes a grinding sound when it does into the spin cycle.

What else should I be looking for?

Thank you, BPD

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Missing some digits...
Where is my Model Number? | Appliance Aid

Now the machine spins and agitates, but makes a grinding sound when it does into the spin cycle.
Was the noise there before your repair or just after your repair? Have a recording of the noise?
Something in the pump, loose tub nut and drive block, gearbox are common for being noise makers.

jeff.

BigPhoneDaddy

Premium Member
Kenmore 90 Series Washing Machine
MOD: 110.20922990
SER: CK 2296192
TYPE: 111

Noise was after the repairing the clutch and Motor Coupling. No other broken parts or pieces and everything is clear in the pump and motor area. Everything was moving with no issues. Problem (grinding noise) is only when in the spin cycle.

jeff1

Staff member
Noise was after the repairing the clutch and Motor Coupling
Should at least recheck those repairs then as the best place to start...

[video=youtube;9K1KHEogf3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K1KHEogf3c&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;tVc6SZ2DD4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVc6SZ2DD4U&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Problem (grinding noise) is only when in the spin cycle.
Does the noise speed up, stay the same, slow down, etc, etc?

jeff.

BigPhoneDaddy

Premium Member
I rechecked the clutch and Motor Coupling and all look and work. Motor Coupling is spins freely and the Clutch it tight to the had.

When running, it's good in the fill and agitate cycle. When in the spin, it starts up and the grinding noise start and then it appears that the hestitates and tries to stop. Could it be Transmission/Gear box? I'm think that this what caused the Motor Coupling break in the first place with it seizing up.

Any thoughts?

jeff1

Staff member