• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20994993 Sears Kenmore Elite Washer fills with water for a few inches then stops

Chuck24

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I spin the cycle selector control to a new cycle it will fill again and stop

Sears Kenmore Elite washer fills with water for a few inches and then stops filling. If I spin the cycle selector control to another cycle, it will fill a few inches and then stop. I can continue to do this until the washer fills to the correct level then the washer will complete the wash, rinse, and spin cycles normally. This started only happening on the Ultra Clean Cycle. The other cycles would fill properly. It then also occurred with the Auto Soak cycle. The Permament Press cycle worked fine. Now all cycles selected will only fill a few inches and then stop. Again, if I spin the cycle selector control to another cycle it will fill few inches and stop and if I continue to do this it eventually fills to the correct level then will complete the wash, rinse, and spin cycles. Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting information that you can provide.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is your water pressure coming into the machine good and strong?

What does it do next? Nothing? Does the timer keep advancing or not?

I'd first drain all the water out and let is spin for a couple minutes, then remove the water level pressure switch hose from the pressure switch and blow through that hose really hard, that hose goes down to your air dome, you may have a partial clog that, and that can cause this problem. You may also want to remove the pressure switch hose from the air dome and get a flashlight and see if something got caught it in.

Click here and you will see a video of how it goes onto the water level pressure switch nipple, then down to the air dome at the bottom of your outer tub assembly:

Make sure no water is in the tub when you reattach that clear hose to both ends.

Jake

Chuck24

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the information. I took a closer look at what was going on and found that the washer does fill and operate normally through the cycles when set to use cold water. The issue occurs (not filling) when I choose to use warm water. Chuck checked the hose for the hot water and it was fine. He then tested the hot water intake valve and the solenoid failed. Checking to see if you have that part and anything else that might need checked in addition to this. Thanks again for your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Chuck24

Premium Member
Thanks for checking on that part for me. So, it looks like I’ll need to shop for a new washer if I want to wash with warm water. I know many have gone to front load to save on water, drying time, and energy usage….do you recommend front load versus top load? Brands to look at and/or avoid?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Either top load or front load is fine. We recommend Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana for the best reliability and longevity.

Avoid GE, LG, and Samsung.

Jake

Chuck24

Premium Member
Thank you for the recommendations. Will be shopping soon for a replacement!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chuck, sounds good.

Jake