• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.22352510 Kenmore washer spins slowly.

Gary M

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore/Whirlpool washer that's 3 years old, belt drive. The initial problem started w/ excessive shaking during the spin cycle. I replaced the suspension rods as suggested in many posts which didn't resolve the issue. I checked the drive hub, belt, pulley, and clutch assembly which all looked fine. Now the washer is barely spinning to ring the water out of the clothes. It seems to drain fine. I've checked all hoses which are clear. It now also has started to get a grinding noise which I suspect is the transmission/gearcase. I ran a diagnostic and the only error code I get is unbalanced load. Nothing to indicate the actuator, clutch assembly or gearcase. I don't want to replace the gearcase if that's not the problem. Any suggestions? Help!!
Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You replaced all 4 suspension spring rods? I had one do this exact same thing in the summer of 2019 in my local area of Parker, Arizona and the new spring/rods kit fixed it for my customer.

Here's the suspension rods springs kit assembly for your model:
W11130362 Suspension spring kit

Now, we had two members buy this suspension kit on ebay and both were bad, once they bought it from us it worked perfect.

Where did you buy this suspension kit from?

We have seen a lot of problems with eBay and Amazon when it comes to appliance parts. China is flooding the market with cheap knock offs. They may or may not say OEM on the parts but it doesn't make it so. China distributors even pay people to give good reviews.

Jake

Gary M

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. They were Whirlpool OEM parts from a reputable appliance parts retailer, not ebay or Amazon. That still doesn't address the slow spin issue though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the tub is out of balance you will never get a fast spin.

Now if it has a grinding noise, yes its possibly the transmission bearing is bad too.

Make a video of the noise and post it here.

Jake

Gary M

Premium Member
One other thing of note. When I pulled off the cam/splutch to check it there was some grease or similar substance on part of it.
Here's a video of the machine during the wash cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Gary, I heard it! It sounds like the agitator is stripped or the transmission(gearcase) bearing has gone out.

Leave the agitator OFF while its washing and see if the grinding noise is still present.

On this model agitator its held on with a bolt, just remove the bolt and the agitator should pull up and off.

Here's the agitator for your model, it comes with a new bolt: W11161960 Washplate

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model:
W11035751 Gearcase

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Gary M

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I ran the machine with the agitator off and it didn't grind but the spin cycle still didn't work. Here's a video taken in test mode. The agitator seems to work but the spin cycle is definitely funky.
Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary, in your first video your agitator is still ON not OFF and that sounds normal in the wash cycle.

In the 2nd video that noise is most likely the hub has worn out, thus it won't spin. The hub is underneath the agitator.:)

Here's the hub for your model:
W10528947 Hub

--->Look at these photos below of the hub teeth grinded down to smooth. It should NOT be grinded down to smooth.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• wgww.jpg
    wgww.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 19
  • wrhwn.jpg
    wrhwn.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 21

Gary M

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I had taken the agitator off a separate time before the video. I have taken the tub out a couple of times and the splines on the hub look fine.
Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Gary, Remove the HUB not TUB and see is the teeth on the HUB is worn down to smooth like in the photos I posted above are.

If the HUB is fine, take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams and see if the teeth are worn down there, If so order and replace that Splutch cam kit.

Here's the sputch cam kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

Video included in part link.

Jake

Gary M

Premium Member
Yes, I had taken off the hub as well as the tub. I took it off again to look at it closely and yes it was worn down smooth like your pictures. I guess I didn't know what it was supposed to look like when I had it off before. I think the problem is solved!!
Thanks for all your advice. I will certainly return to this blog if I have any future appliance problems.

Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Gary, glad the new hub fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake