FIXED 110.22722100 Kenmore 70 Series Washer won't agitate - motor hum

ericwondergem

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere....I tried reading some very long threads and started to get frustrated. I have a Sears Kenmore 70 Series Washing Machine that is about 15 years old and has served us well. In recent months, there have been a few times that we went to transfer the laundry to the dryer only to discover that the machine was still full of water. Other times, the tub would be empty of water, but the towels and sweatshirts would still be sopping wet. It quit working the other day. Specifically, it will fill with water but will not agitate or spin. When you put it on a spin cycle, the motor hums and nothing happens. I have tried several things.

First, the lid switch is working properly. I hear the click each time it is depressed.

Second, I removed the motor and examined the transmission coupler. It seems fine. Could be replaced I'm sure, but it is not broken. The plastic is intact and the rubber wheel shows no cracks. When I turn the drive shaft by hand, but coupler spins and the agitator and tub move.

Finally, it will not drain as part of the spin cycle, but if the drain hose is disconnected, water pours out the back. I know from experience unfortunately.

Any idea what is going on? I am not an appliance expert but have already disassembled/reassembled the washing machine and don't want to pay a repair technician to come out to redo all these things I've done.

Many thanks in advance.
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Eric,

Take the water pump off the motor and see if it spins like that.

Possibly something is jammed/stuck in the water pump causing that motor humming/buzzing.

Here's the water pump for your model:
Drain Pump WP3363394

Here's the video on how to access it:

[video=youtube;DwV71h86Gxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwV71h86Gxw[/video]

So I'd also Take the water pump off the motor and remove the 2 rubber hoses and see if something is stuck/jammed inside it.

Keep us posted.

Jake

ericwondergem

Premium Member
Water pump

Thanks Jake! I'll look inside the pump and see. Children's socks have a way of disappearing in the wash! :) I'll post back with what I find. I appreciate your response.
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Eric, let us know what you find.:)

Jake

ericwondergem

Premium Member
Amazing. Took the pump off (woah that's alot of water!) and discovered a small child's sock wedged inside. Took a needlenose and removed the sock, pump seemed fine, slapped it all back together, and the washing machine is fixed! Thank you so much for all your help, Jake. I will definitely come back to ask questions and order parts in the future....hopefully not in the near future. ;-) Thank you again....saved me hundreds of dollars.

Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Eric, glad that was all it was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake