• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.23812100 My Kenmore washer leaves clothes wet

ruster

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I read through the forum and tried several repairs with no success. My washer leaves clothes wet and needs to run a second time on the spin cycle. I replaced the basket drive, the drive coupling and clutch assembly. Also there is no clog or blockage in the drain lines on either the pump or drain hose. Any thoughts on my issue? After spinning a second time they are OK to place in the dryer. Could it be a timer issue, # 661649? Thank you!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Have you timed how long it takes to drain? It should drain all the water within 90 seconds, if not then that's the problem.

If it draining the water within 90 seconds, then make a video of the complete spin cycle so we can see what's going on, then upload the video to Youtube and embed it here.

Make sure the lid is up when making that video, just put a screwdriver in the lid switch hole to bypass the lid switch.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Thank you, I'll time the spin cycle to drain - would that indicate a pump issue? And is 90 seconds with a full tub of water and no items in the tub?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, 90 seconds with full tub of water.

Just time how long it takes to drain, don't time the whole spin cycle.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

At 90 seconds, the tub was totally empty. My son-in-law will take a video tonight of the spin cycle - I thank you for your assistance!

Jim

ruster

Premium Member
So, with the lid open, screw driver in the lid switch, the tub did not spin! It drained but did not spin. When is was almost completely drained, I pushed the timer off & on and it then spun and finished draining. Timer, maybe? We have a video but it's too large!!!

Jim

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

The first video shows the start of the spin cycle, the agitator jerks like it's going to start spinning but it doesn't move. The first one also shows it draining then I pushed the time off and back on and it then started spinning on the second video. I was really surprised it didn't spin at first!!

Thanks,
Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good video's Jim,

The transmission is a neutral spin. After the wash cycle completes, the machine starts the drain cycle almost immediately. After approximately two minutes the timer will pause the motor operation causing the clutch to engage the spin tube and release the brake and continues into the spin cycle.

So your timer is the problem because you are not getting that pause of the motor to continue on into the spin cycle.

Here's the timer for your model you can order:
WP661649 Timer

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Thank you sir! I appeciate the time you took to diagnose and explain the operation of how the timer on my washer works. I'll provide an update after the new timer is in and I run a few loads.

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, sounds good.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Update:
I never resolved this issue...
"I replaced the basket drive, the drive coupling and clutch assembly. Also there is no clog or blockage in the drain lines on either the pump or drain hose...still gad the same issue. I purchased a new GE #model GTW330ASK2WW in January 2018.
Now 4 years later I'm having the same issue with our GE - What luck!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But you didn't replace the Timer Jim like I mentioned?

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Yes I did purchase a timer as well for our old Kenmore (wish we still owned that ole Kenmore), that's the last thing I tried before throwing in the towel!

Thanks,
Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The new timer should of fixed it if you never noticed the motor pausing to kick it into the spin cycle properly.

Oh well, old news now. LOL

Jake