• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.24832200 Kenmore 80 Series Capacitors Melting

JulieG

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My 80 Series Kenmore Washer began smoking a week or so ago. The machine quit with a full load of wet clothes inside. After draining it out by hand, and taking it apart, I realized that the start capacitor had melted. All of the wiring seemed okay. I Ordered a replacement and fitted it today, along with a new coupling and clutch as they were both slipping.
After reassembling, everything worked for about a minute or two but then I smelled burning and saw smoke again. I also realized that the agitator was only working on fast speed. The normal, delicate, hand wash etc. were not working (they were last week)
After unplugging and taking the case off again, I saw that the capacitor had melted once more.
What could be causing this?
I noticed when replacing the clutch that the brown plastic plate surrounding the plug pins on the motor was broken and repaired with electrical tape (not by me) the very last pin seemed loose. Could this be the cause?
Or maybe the speed selector is causing the problem?
Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

JulieG

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. Is there any way to test the switch independent of the motor? Would this cause the agitator to run on only fast? Thanks again.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's a schematic of the agitate and spins cycle with the current path highlighted. It shows the motor switch contacts. If the motor switch checks good the problem is probably the timer. It's a common issue with that style timer. The contacts stick together and tries to send two speeds to the motor at the same time.
WP8539991 Timer
whirlpool-timer-invensys-hd-wp8539991-ap6013028_01_m.jpg

Motor Circuit (2).jpg

JulieG

Premium Member
And that would cause the starter to burn out?
How do I check the starter and the switch?