FIXED 110.24832200 Kenmore washer - how to replace dial knob?

guthrie

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore washer (model 118, the dial has a transparent fixture and it covers an indicator, which is on the same spindle.
I got a replacement for the indicator and its transparent cover, but don't know how to remove the dial handle (#13) to replace the indicator part (#12).

Pulling out on the dial is how it turns the washer cycle off; and I am reluctant to try to force it our even more.
1565920428991.png

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

118-24832200
Above comes up as nothing.
I got 110.24832200 to work for me.

The knob (#13) should unscrew off and the indicator (#12) will pull off.
LINK> http://www.applianceaid.com/washer-timer-knobs.php

Something could be broken inside the timer and when you try to unscrew the knob the shaft keeps turning. You could try to hold the shaft at the back of the timer with a pair of pliers while trying to unscrew the knob off at the same time.

jeff.

guthrie

Premium Member
Very helpful; Thank you - yes, I mis-typed the Model#. - good job!

The knob when pulled out just spins freely, and when pushed in it turns the outer shaft, and one can hear the timer selections changing. Is it not supposed to ratchet-spin CCW, and instead unscrew?

If so apparently I have to do as you note- somehow open up the top to access the timer and try to hold the shaft on the back.

Can I just remove the cover on the top control assembly to do this? I couldn't find any other manuals online - Sears said they used their "internal resources" for the one diagram they sent me. Any hints!

jeff1

Staff member

guthrie

Premium Member
Thanks.
I got the top off, mine is a bit different than those – the front screws are under two snap-off end-caps.
It appears that the timer/knob assembly on this (older) model is not the ccw-screw-off, but there is supposed to be a pin which one pulls to release the entire shaft (according to the local repairman - and the screw off is an older approach), but no pin on mine, and hard to see how to release the shaft.
The rear end of the shaft is just a small plastic square - it seems like it should somehow release the shaft - but we couldn't get it to do anything.
Seems like I need to just order a new timer and knob. Sure is a lot of trouble and expense for a crumbled plastic indicator dial!

guthrie

Premium Member
AH; got it! The videos on this I've seen show the screw on/off timer shaft knob - but mine does not work that way, it has an internal rod in the shaft, that has to be retracted to release the knob.

A local repairman said that older models had the screw knobs, later ones switched to using a pin to release the shaft which would them come out. Mine is neither of these, see this video (this is not my model of washer, but this my timer, shaft, and knob). Once you know the "trick", it is a very simple 1-minute repair.

Washer Timer Knob (part #W10807860) - How To Replace

However, twisting the knob ccw, I think messed up the ratchet in the timer, and it is sloppy now, so I am going to order and repalce the time as well.

jeff1

Staff member
it has an internal rod in the shaft, that has to be retracted to release the knob.

Yupper, like these ones from the timer removal page.

I got the top off, mine is a bit different than those – the front screws are under two snap-off end-caps.

Yupper, like these one from the access page.

Glad to see you got somewhere with it.

jeff.