• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.25102310 Kenmore 500 series top load washer, Drain error code

McConnell23

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My washer wasn't ringing the clothes out completely and would stop at the spin cycle. I went through the codes and it came up saying "long drain time". I cleaned out the drain house with a vacuum and ran the automatic test and no more codes came up. I got out of diagnostic mode and tried to run a normal wash cycle but instead of doing the normal sensing/lid locking routine, the sensing light is the only light that turns on and the drain motor turns on. I unplugged the washer for a min to reset it and when I plug it back in the sensing light blinks nonstop after about 10 seconds. The washer is only 3 years old and has done about 3-5 loads per week.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

McConnell23

Premium Member
model # 110.25102310
I got it to run again but it stopped when it got to spin cycle. I turned the dial to "drain/spin" and when I started it, the sensing light turned on and it started making a growling/humming sound, I think that is the drain motor. It did that for about 15 minutes before I stopped it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

It's either something stuck/jammed in the drain pump keeping the drain pump motor impeller from turning properly to drain the water, or the drain pump has gone bad.

I always start by accessing the drain pump and removing the rubber hoses to it, then looking for something inside it, like a little sock or something along that line.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10661045

Watch this video to access it:

[video=youtube_share;46WUtTbg4pM]https://youtu.be/46WUtTbg4pM[/video]

Let us know what you find.

Jake

McConnell23

Premium Member
I checked the drain hose for clogs, nothing.
Then I removed the inner tub and checked the tubs for potential blockage, nothing.
Reset the codes and calibrated and ran Auto test and long drain code came on again. I think my next step is to replace the drain pump unless you know of something else to check that won't set me back $60.

McConnell23

Premium Member
The part number for the drain pump that you recommended doesn't match the part number on the OEM motor that I took off the washer. Is there a reason for that? The part number for the one I took off is W10614033 and this washer was bought brand new from Sears about 3 years ago so I know it is original from factory.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
W10614033 subs over to WPW10661045.:)

Did you look inside the drain pump itself for clogs?

Do you hear any sound at all from it when its suppose to be draining?

If you have a multimeter you can check to see if its getting 120 volts to it when it should be running and draining.

Jake

McConnell23

Premium Member
I did check the motor for any clogs and it was good.
It does drain when it's supposed to but then it pops up the long drain code and then doesn't do anything else after that. If I try to start it again the pump motor just turns on and runs for a couple of minutes. Even if I try starting a new cycle, it still does that.
I don't have a meter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, did you at least feel the pump motor to see if its running hot?

I believe that's the bad part anyway, so you may want to have Sears come out just to confirm it.

Jake

McConnell23

Premium Member
I took the pump to get tested and it metered good... do you think it could be the timer that is preventing it from going to the next cycle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, because you said this:
I got it to run again but it stopped when it got to spin cycle. I turned the dial to "drain/spin" and when I started it, the sensing light turned on and it started making a growling/humming sound, I think that is the drain motor. It did that for about 15 minutes before I stopped it.

Have you been able to pinpoint what part is causing that growling/humming sound?

Jake

McConnell23

Premium Member
I'm pretty certain it is the sound of the drain pump bc when I run the test mode, the motor turns on to drain when it gets to that function and that is the same sound I am hearing when I try starting it in regular mode. It's almost as if it gets stuck in that mode even if I unplug the washer for a while (I've done multiple time intervals, <1, =1, >1). It'll randomly sometimes work to run a normal wash mode but it still stops at spin cycle.

McConnell23

Premium Member
Before I started having issues with it, when I would start the washer in regular mode the lid would lock and the sensing light would come on then the lid would unlock. It would do this cycle a couple of times and then it would start filling up with water. Now when I start it, the lid doesn't lock but the sensing light does come on and that growling noise starts. Very rarely will it actually do the sensing/lid lock and then fill up.

McConnell23

Premium Member
Some times if I hold the start button to cancel the cycle it'll actually stop it like it should but then other times it'll just start with the growling and some water will drain out but then that pump keeps running for a couple minutes and the only way to stop it is to unplug the washer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, here's your tech data sheet: Dropbox - VMW - Tech Sheet.pdf

I'd start at the beginning on Page 2 Diagnostic LED - Main Control - is the LED ON or OFF?

If ON, then clear the fault codes on Page 3 and then go back to Page 2 and do the ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES and see what other error code you get if any.

Jake

McConnell23

Premium Member
Got the new drain pump motor installed. I ran the automatic test mode and all ran fine. I then ran the calibration mode since I changed out the motor and when I start it the lid locks, the green lights continue cycling through from right to left, but the drain pump turns on and it tries to drain for a couple minutes then everything stops and the lid unlocks. I checked the codes again after all of that and the long drain code comes up again. I even cleared the code and ran the test cycle again but still got the long drain code.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, you'll have to go through what I mentioned in post#17. Or have Sears come out to see what's going on.

Jake