Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
***FIRST POST***

My Kenmore 500 Series Washer (Model #: 110.25132410) won't spin-dry my clothes.

Whether I run it in "Normal" mode or "Rinse & Spin" mode or "Drain & Spin" mode, it won't spin-dry the clothes. I can hear it trying to spin-dry them, and indeed it will start spinning but will stop spinning immediately after starting to spin. The basket then spins freely until it comes to a stop (and then unlocks the lid). When it's trying to spin, I can hear a "loudish" sound, which may or may not be normal, even when working properly--not sure.

It seems like something in the spinning system is not engaging properly, possibly a slipping issue...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
Hi, Jake. Thanks for the response. Yes, from what I can tell from the video you referenced, the behavior seems to be the same, where my washer is trying to accelerate to the spin-dry speed, but then stops almost immediately after starting.

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
Jake, my plan then is to inspect the splutch and the washplate hub to determine if either or both of these components need replacing. Any recommended sites that show how to identify these components, to determine whether or not they need replacement and then how to replace them, as needed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bryan,

I'd first check your hub to see if the teeth are starting to grind down. Its located underneath your washplate.

The hub has screws that hold it in place, you will see them once you remove the washplate.

To remove your washplate, Watch this video below, wiggle the washplate while pulling it up.

[video=youtube_share;2l19ojF3pnA]https://youtu.be/2l19ojF3pnA[/video]

Jake

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the video. The Whirlpool washplate appears to be the same kind as the Kenmore. Unfortunately, with the washplate cap and bolt removed, the washplate still will not come out. I've tried loosening it by tapping with a rubber mallet and with prying around the far edges with a screw driver. I also sprayed some WD40 into the shaft area, where the bolt fastens. Nothing has worked to get the washplate to come out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd Bryan, it should of come out. I don't know what else to suggest.

You may have to have Sears come out to see what's going on.

Jake

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
I tried putting it through calibration. It went through a long process that included a seemingly large amount of intense shaking. Unfortunately, even that wasn't enough to shake the washer plate loose. However, is all that intense vibration normal for the calibration process?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
However, is all that intense vibration normal for the calibration process?
No, but since your hub is worn out, then yes.

I have another idea that may help remove the washplate, get a belt like a belt you use on your pants or jeans, then slide the belt underneath the washplate and jerk it up and see if the washplate comes out.

Jake

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
Hi, Jake.

I really like your idea about using a belt to lift the wash plate from beneath. I will try that at my next opportunity. (I have also tried placing coat hangers on opposite sides to lift from beneath, but the belt idea sounds even better.)

A suggestion came to me from another source that the washer's behavior in Normal mode along with its behavior in Calibration mode may be due to a faulty control board. Another symptom was seen when running Test mode: all the sequences were going fine until it came to the spin; as expected, it couldn't maintain the spin, but then Test mode abruptly ended, like it was quitting; perhaps the abrupt ending should be expected since spin is the final sequence. With all these symptoms together, does that sound like a control board issue to you, or would you continue to focus on the wash plate hub?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd Continue to focus on the wash plate hub first.:)

The reason I don't think its the control board is because you mentioned it sounded like the video in the other thread I posted in post#2 of this thread.

Jake

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
Unfortunately, the belt idea didn't work. I was able to get a canvas belt underneath, but was unable to make any headway with removing the wash plate. Is it time to start thinking about chiseling it out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

skipo

Premium Member
Had a similar problem with my washplate. A bunch of grime built up between the teeth on the plate and splines on the shaft making it stuck.
I ended up feeding some wire down through and back up a bunch of the holes in the plate. Had to form the wire into a hook kind of shape to get it to pop up and out again. After I got the wires through, I secured around them around a 2x4 laying across the opening of the wash tub. And then I twisted all the wires between the 2x and washplate together using a hammer. It came up after twisting a little while.
Not sure if that makes any sense or is helpful :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks skipo for that added information, hopefully that will help him and others get the washplate off, without breaking it off.:)

Jake

Bryan.Madonna

Premium Member
A concern I have had with any of my efforts to remove the wash plate is the potential damage I might end up doing not only to the wash plate but also to other parts of the washer machine. What did you do to protect the washer from damage as you were twisting the wires and increasing the pressure on the wash plate? The wash tub must have been absorbing much of that pressure as well.

skipo

Premium Member
I had the top panel of the washer lifted back and removed the washtub ring so that the 2x4 was laying across the top of the spin basket only. So I think the bulk of the pressure would have been applied on the plate itself and some on the basket, maybe shaft as well. Then just twisted carefully. I was really only worried about maybe ripping apart the wash plate. So I didnt feed wire through holes right next to each other, I also wired through the holes closest to the center.

dd52163

Premium Member
Hello Jake - my washer is having the same issues described here. I've replaced the wash plate and belt and it's still not spinning dry. I would like to try to replace the hub that you are showing here. Is this compatible with Kenmore Washer 110.25132410.

Thanks,
Danny

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Danny,

Yes, your model uses that exact same hub.

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the washplate:
W10528947 Hub

Jake

dd52163

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

Do you know if washer model has a filter that requires regular cleaning (model 110.25132410)??

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.