• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.25842400 Kenmore 80 Series Washer Tripping Breaker

joedirt

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore 80 series washer that trips a breaker every time you try to turn it on, doesn't matter the cycle or anything like that no matter what you try to do it trip the breaker right away. Model 110.25842400 any help would be greatly appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
There's obviously a short somewhere. Start by checking the connectors are all on tight. An easy way to find a short is by process of elimination. Start with the two major components, the motor and timer. Disconnect the motor connector and see if it will start without tripping the breaker. If it still trips the breaker, disconnect all the connectors on the switches and temporarily bypass the lid switch. The timer should be the only thing connected. If it trips the breaker the timer is bad. If it doesn't trip the breaker plug each switch one at a time until you find the short.

PS. don't forget the water valve connectors.

joedirt

Premium Member
Okay I will do that I actually replaced the timer thinking it was that and it worked for about two minutes and then did the same thing again now it is just tripping like it did originally.

rickgburton

Staff member
If you have a bad motor the amp draw might be causing the timer contacts to weld together.

joedirt

Premium Member
okay so i figured out it only does it on spin when you go to close the door, I got a new door lid switch but as soon as I activate the door lid switch on spin it trips the breaker

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joe, You will need a clamp-on style amp meter to see how many amps the motor is pulling on spin. Right Rick?

Jake

joedirt

Premium Member
Unplug the motor with closed door doesn’t trip, plug the motor in closed door it trips, don’t tell me my motors junk 😭😭😭

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Rick, but he needs to use that clamp-on amp meter so we can see how many amps hes pulling.

We can replace every part in that machine, only to find out it was a weak breaker problem. :eek:

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
If it trips as soon as it's turned it's a direct short to ground. Use a meter and measure the resistance from each wire terminal on the motor to ground or the motor body.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Joe, glad it was only the breaker. (y)

I had one last year in Bouse, Arizona do this too, that's why I mentioned clamp-on amp meter and breaker.:)

Jake