FIXED 110.26732500 Intermittent spinning Kenmore 70

poreef

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
First off, this forum looks really great for helping people diagnose problems and buy the right part. Kudos!

I have a Kenmore 70 110.26732500 that is having trouble spinning. When it spins it's fine, when it doesn't spin, it doesn't spin at all. It always sounds like it's spinning so the motor is going. Opening and closing the lid doesn't help. Shuffling the contents around doesn't really help. When it's in the spin cycle, and I open the lid to find it not spinning, I do find that I can turn the basket freely counter-clockwise, but if I turn it clockwise it hits a stopping point. I *think* turning it CW and "tightening" the basket a bit seems to help it to spin. Even that is not 100% so this data point may be a red herring.

Is it supposed to turn freely at this point? I suppose it would since it's the spin cycle. Am I helping something "click" by turning it to its stopping point?

Lately it's spinning much more often than not, but the problem could come back any time.

During the spin cycle, I can sneak a look in by lifting the lid just a little bit without changing the state of the lid switch. If I lift it too high, it will stop spinning. So I don't think it's the lid switch, but haven't actually tested it.

I recently had a problem with my dryer so bought a new motor coupler to save on shipping. Replacing it didn't help - the old one looked fine, but figured what the heck.

Doing some searching, this seems like the closest problem to what I'm experiencing:

I don't own a spanner wrench, but I took apart enough to look at the spanner nut and it didn't feel loose (even with some body english).

Any thoughts, given my description above? I realize it could be a lot of parts (drive block, clutch, etc.), but don't want to throw too much money at this either. I think I can eliminate the timer theory in the link above based on the fact that opening/closing lid doesn't help.

poreef

P.S. Always, always drains fine. No bad/grinding noises. *Maybe* a faint smell of burnt petroleum/rubber something like that. But it's not strong if it's there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Ok, take the cabinet off, I assume you know how to do that since you already replaced the motor coupling. Next bypass the lid switch, do you know how to do that?

Then with the lid switch bypassed start the machine in spin and get down on your knees and watch your silver clutch.

For the NO SPIN problem, do you see the silver clutch turning when it should be spinning in the spin cycle?

The silver clutch is just above the gearcase.

If its not turning, your transmission is definity bad.

Here's the gearcase for your model you can order:
Transmission 3360629

There is a video when you click the transmission part.

Jake

poreef

OK. I was "lucky" enough to have it not spin tonight. So, beer in hand, I took the cabinet off and jumpered the lid switch.

It looks to me like the clutch is spinning. There is another part just above it with a spring that isn't spinning. That part seems to have a useless rubber belt around it that you can just barely see in the video. That belt is twisted in one place, but it doesn't appear to sit on anything but this part so, well, I don't know what it's doing.

As it happens, when I re-ran everything to take the video the basket started spinning but not very fast. Fast enough to get a bit of water out, but not the kind of fast you'd want out of a washer. The view from the bottom (video #1) wasn't any different between the two, though. Same parts turning or not turning.

So my claim that it's either 0% or 100% is probably false and I just haven't realized it. After the video, I was able to stop the basket from spinning with very little effort.

Drive block?

Last edited:

poreef

Very interesting. Turned it back on again, just to see. No change on bottom, but no spinning of basket. But... I could see it kinda slowly turning. Like, it would take 10 minutes to do a revolution, but it was moving. So I gave it a bit of a kick with my fingers and it started spinning as in video #2 above.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Videos!

You will need a new clutch assembly.

Here's the clutch assembly for your model you can order(Video Included in part link)
285785 Clutch Assembly

Make sure you install all the parts that come with the clutch assembly.

Jake

poreef

That's the right price!

Is it worth replacing anything else in there while I'm at it? I happen to be selling this house in the near future, so mostly just want it to last long enough. But, I'll throw another $10-15 part in there if it's worth it. But... I don't own a spanner wrench and don't really have a hankering for one although I did enjoy having a reason to buy a socket wrench extender! :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That should be all you need.

You would need a spanner wrench to remove the inner basket, You can try a pipe wrench if you don't have a spanner wrench.

Jake

poreef

The video did not seem to indicate that I'd need to remove the inner basket. Did I not watch it carefully?

Mostly I was pointing out that maybe I should replace the drive block, which would definitely require a spanner wrench.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always pull the inner tub out anyways to clean the bottom of the outer tub assembly as well, but you don't have to just to replace the clutch.

Here's the tub drive block for your model:
Drive Block WP389140

You can see the comparison here:

See the one on the left, its the old one, the one on the right is the new one. It has to have those 2 ear slots. Does yours look like the one on the left or right?

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

poreef

Slots look good to me. The retaining clip seems a bit looser after putting it back on than when I took it off, but it reliably catches the little post on the plastic piece.

Thanks for your help. Paypal donation sent!

Will update post-install!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks good in the photo to me as well.:)

Thanks for the Donation.:)

Jake

poreef

One load and so far, so good. Maybe a bit quieter during spin cycle, but clearly faster. The agitation has always been the guilty party for noise.

Wasn't a hard repair - these Kenmores are pretty simple on the inside. I'm happy to have changed the coupler even though it wasn't the problem. Thanks!

If you can mark as fixed, please do. I'll update if I find any reason to believe the problem is returning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new clutch fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Marked as FIXED

Jake