• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.26842694 Kenmore 80 washer: won't agitate on slow settings

tjc4

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore 80 stopped agitating in slow speeds. Everything else seems normal: it will fill, agitate on fast speed, drain, and spin.

Machine has four speeds:
1) Delicate (slow / slow)
2) Regular (slow / fast)
3) Heavy Duty (fast / fast)
4) Hang Dry (fast / slow)

Agitate starts only on 3) and 4). I don't know if 4) continues to agitate when it switches to the slow part of the cycle (haven't had a chance to test that yet. Similarly, I don't know if 2) begins to agitate when it reaches the fast part of the cycle (again, haven't had time to test yet).

Video of clicking sound:

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, no low speed means the problem is going to be the timer, speed switch or motor. I don't have a wiring diagram for that model but I might not need it. Let's start with the speed switch because it's no longer available. Can you take a picture (in focus) of the back of the speed switch so I can see what wires are connected to it and on what terminal? If there's no white lettering on it, look next to each terminal on the switch it should be labeled A-E or 1-5 It looks like this (from a different model machine). This is the most common part to fail
switch_001.jpg

Start the machine on a Delicate cycle. On the motor, check for 120 VAC across the orange wire (low speed) and the white wire. Incorrect or no voltage brings us back to the speed switch or timer. If the voltage is correct, unplug the machine and measure the motor windings. Your motor is a two speed motor:

Direct Drive Motors.jpg

tjc4

Premium Member
Rick, thank you so much for the reply!

Before I do the suggested diagnostic work could you help me figure out if it makes sense to attempt to troubleshoot and repair?
I tried looking up the parts you mentioned (think I got the correct parts / prices linked below - let me know if I got anything wrong):
  • Timer - $217
  • Motor - $153
  • Speed Switch - unavailable

It seems like this will be an expensive repair (even if I don't factor in the time I spend on the repair and the possibility that I initially misdiagnose the issue and have to do multiple rounds of parts buying and repairing).

There's a guy on my local craigslist who will deliver and install a comparable washer and take the old one away for $150 (or I could just continue to use my washer on the fast/fast setting for $0).

I like to save things if I can - I've done a few repairs to my washer (balancing spring, lid switch) - but it sounds like this issue has effectively totaled my washer and repairs are uneconomical.

What do you think about that? Do you foresee any repair scenarios in which the cost of repair is less than the cost to replace?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The only thing it has going for it is it's a whirlpool direct drive. Use it on the regular cycle until it gives up.