• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.26882500 Kenmore 80 Series buzzing sound stopped mid-cycle will not drain

epennington

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore 80 Series. Was doing laundry over the weekend and was on my third load. Went to check and noticed that the washer had stopped mid cycle with water still in it. Tried to start and it makes buzzing sound. For a brief second I thought I smelt something burning, like electrical burning smell. Any ideas on what this could be? I have posted a video of the sound it makes.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the motor. Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Take the cabinet off and start the machine in a spin cycle. You'll need to temporarily bypass the lid switch. If the noise is coming from the motor there could be something caught in the pump. Take the pump off the motor but leave all the hoses connected and try spin again. It's common for small items to get caught in the pump and keep the motor from running.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree 110% with Rick.

Sounds like possibly something is jammed/stuck in the water pump causing that hum sound. Very common when this happens.

Remove the 2 rubber hoses that connect to the water pump and see if something is stuck/jammed inside the water pump, use a flashlight to see better inside the water pump.

Here's the water pump for your model:
Drain Pump WP3363394

Here's the video on how to access it, unplug your washer first!

Getting the water pump out without flooding your house.

I use a pinch off tool, you can buy it at Sears:

You pinch the tub-to-pump rubber hose off.

Keep us posted.

Jake