• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.27532600 Kenmore 500 series washer during rinse starts spin stops starts again stops

John Michael

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
During the rinse cycle when pointer is about halfway between the rinse dot and spin dot on the dial, the washer will stop spinning. After while it will restart spinning for a few seconds, then stop. I moved the dial to spin and it does spin. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

Do how many times does the motor pause before it continues on? 3 times? or forever until you manually advance the timer?

This is how your machine works:
The transmission is a neutral spin. After the wash cycle completes, the machine starts the drain cycle almost immediately. After approximately two minutes the timer will pause the motor operation for a few seconds causing the clutch to engage the spin tube and release the brake and continues into the spin cycle.

Most ( not all ) direct drive washers are a neutral drain washer, means the timer allows the washer to pump out the water and then the timer pauses ( stops ) the washer so the neutral drive in the gearbox can reset for spinning, and when the timer allows the washer to start back up again the pumping will continue and spinning will occur.

--->The water should drain out first then the timer tells the motor to shut off for about 20 seconds, then the timer tells the motor to restart, then the brake will disengage and it will spin.

If you have to manually advance the timer to get it to stay in the spin cycle, then your timer is the culprit.

Here's the timer for your model you can order:
whirlpool-timer-emerson-delta-wp8579446-ap6013564_01_l.jpg

John Michael

Premium Member
THANK YOU for the description and what to expect. With your description in hand, I fired up the machine empty. It ran fine. I loaded it with some clothes, it ran fine. I did another load. It ran fine. So for now, I guess the machine is working again? Anyway, I will keep my ear on it when it runs. Probably will forgo replacing the timer or anything else. Bought this used probably 10 years ago.

Good washer but hard for meet justify putting serious money into a 10+ year old machine that I paid like $250 for. If it fails, I plan on going back to the place where I bought this used and scratch-and-dent store, great people, refurbish before they resell, etc.) and get another no electronics, simple top loader. BTW, this machine replaced a front loader that failed a month after the warranty expired.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok John, sounds good.:)

Yes, you are very wise to stay away from electronically controlled appliances!

Jake