• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.27841600 Kenmore Washer won't spin after drain

jk240sx

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My washer has an issue where it won't spin after draining. My washer was working fine except it was noisy (grinding)and off-balance during the spin. I also noticed oil slung all over inside the cabinet. Besides this, my washer was functioning normal, i.e, the timer was functioning as it should and each cycle would complete. I decided to replace the transmission. I replaced the transmission, however, the new transmission was excessively noisy and locked up during the drain process. I was sent a replacement transmission and it works fine, however, it would not drain correctly. I would have to lift the lid in order to complete the cycle and it would work fine to the end of wash. I called APP and they said I needed to replace the timer and lid switch. I ordered these parts and installed them. Still same issue, I had to lift the lid to complete the drain process. I also replaced the clutch when I did the timer & lid switch. I'm out of ideas as to the problem. Any insight is appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you notice when it finishes draining does the motor shut off and pause for a few seconds then the motor comes back on but not spinning? Or no motor pause at all?

The transmission is a neutral spin. After the wash cycle completes, the machine starts the drain cycle almost immediately. After approximately two minutes the timer will pause the motor operation for a few seconds causing the clutch to engage the spin tube and release the brake and continues into the spin cycle.

Most ( not all ) direct drive washers are a neutral drain washer, means the timer allows the washer to pump out the water and then the timer pauses ( stops ) the washer so the neutral drive in the gearbox can reset for spinning, and when the timer allows the washer to start back up again the pumping will continue and spinning will occur.

You should be able to see the pauses on the washer wiring diagram flowchart.

--->The water should drain out first then the timer tells the motor to shut off for about 20 seconds, then the timer tells the motor to restart, then the brake will disengage and it will spin.

Does it not spin on ALL CYCLES? If this issue is intermittent, you will have to babysit the washer to see if the timer is telling the motor to pause and shut down for 20 seconds.

I had this same issue on a customer when I worked at Sears in Oregon, I went to their house 5 times and I never saw it once do this while I was there(THE TIMER ALWAYS PAUSED THE MOTOR), and I stayed during the whole cycle each time.

If you are NOT getting THAT motor pause, then its the timer that's the culprit.

Jake

jk240sx

Premium Member
I would like to add that I replaced the motor in 2016. The basket wouldn't spin so I was going to replace the coupling. While tearing down the machine to replace the coupling, I noticed the shaft on the motor was rounded off so I had to replace the motor.

On the recent repair, I noticed after replacing the clutch, that when I lift the lid, the operation is much smoother. I hear a gentle "click" instead of it "catching" prior to the clutch replacement. I think I have it narrowed down to either the motor start switch or the motor contacts. I have pulled the start switch off and none of the terminals appeared fouled. There was a very slight burn mark on the blue wire blade on the switch side but nothing else.

I'm into this current repair $430.00 and still having an issue. Any insight is appreciated.

jk240sx

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Jerry here, Thanks for responding.

Jake: --->The water should drain out first then the timer tells the motor to shut off for about 20 seconds, then the timer tells the motor to restart, then the brake will disengage and it will spin.

Since the timer is new, the timer clicks are very pronounced as it cycles. The motor does stop for approximately 20 seconds. When it restarts is when the basket doesn't spin. Once I lift the lid, the basket engages. It happens every time in every wash mode. The final spin is fine in every wash mode.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The motor does stop for approximately 20 seconds. When it restarts is when the basket doesn't spin.
I need to see a video of that happening please, because the motor does pause, that's when it should kick in to spin.

I replaced the transmission, however, the new transmission was excessively noisy and locked up during the drain process. I was sent a replacement transmission and it works fine, however, it would not drain correctly.
Where did you get this transmission from?

Jake

jk240sx

Premium Member
Here's the video Jake. Note that while filming this load I had to lift the lid in order to advance the final rinse. it's the first time it's done since the rebuild. I've done about 15 loads since rebuild.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see what your doing, DO NOT lift the lid while its draining, once the water drains, the motor will pause again, like it did in the video at the 2:41 mark, then the spin will start like it did at the 2:53 mark.:)

So there is nothing wrong with your washer. That's how it's supposed to work.:)

Jake

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake