• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.28102310 Kenmore Washer making banging noise while agitating

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdpeabody@yahoo

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore top loading washer. Model is 110.28102310. When the washer is agitating it makes a knocking noise when it going back and forth. If I take off the agitator it does not make the noise. It also does not make the noise when it in the other cycles. Any suggestion on what it might be would be much appreciated.

See attached video to hear the noise.

sdpeabody@yahoo

Premium Member
I took the washer spin basket out . The gears look ok but there is water in the bottom cavity of the spin basket that will not come out. Is that normal or could this be causing the problem?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I've never heard that noise of this model washer before when its agitating, remove the washplate and see if it makes that same noise.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does the spline inside that washplate look stripped or worn?

Here's the washplate for your model:

If not, then it could be the bearing shaft assembly going bad and making that noise.

When you click the part link to the Tub Seal and Bearing Kit you will see a video of how to replace it.

Here's the Tub Seal and Bearing Kit:
Tub Seal and Bearing Kit W10435302

Here's the Bearing and Seal Tool:
Bearing Driver W10447783

Jake

sdpeabody@yahoo

Premium Member
Just getting back to try an solve this problem. There is a lit play in the washplate. I can move back and forth by hand without the spindle moving. Would that cause the banging noise?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, possibly.

Take the wash plate off and see if that knocking sound is still present when its agitating.

Jake

Chastylr

Premium Member
I have the same model washer and it’s making the exact same knocking noise when washing. I replaced the wash plate and still have the knocking sound when the wash plate changes direction during the wash cycle. About 3 months ago I replaced the bearings, shaft, and seal (with whirlpool OEM parts) due to a loud noise during the spin cycle. I went back and rechecked the bolts that hold the motor stator to the tub and everything was tight.

Any other ideas on what could be causing the knocking noise?

Charles

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Chastylr

Premium Member
I checked for cracks when I removed the rotor to check the stator bolts and didn't see anything. It doesn't make the knocking noise when run empty; only when there are clothes in the tub. Could it be something with the suspension?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could it be something with the suspension?
No, because its only making that noise when its agitating.

So you'll need to have a tech. come out and see what's going on, because you've already replaced the parts that would cause this.

Jake

Chastylr

Premium Member
I was able to fix the knocking and I want to share what I did in case it will help others on this forum.

I decided to check the large nut on the bottom of the drive shaft to see if I had tightened it enough when I installed the bearing kit a few months back. To reach the nut I had to remove the rotor and stator. Sure enough, I was able to tighten the nut another quarter turn or so.

Based on a YouTube video I watched on replacing the bearings, I have applied thread lock in the internal threads on the shaft prior to installing the rotor. I used more thread lock this time and was unable to tighten the rotor bolt all the way. The bolt was fluid locked in the threaded shaft with the thread lock. To remove the thread lock, I chased the internal threads of the shaft with a 5/16“-24 tap. There was a lot of dried up thread lock in the threads. After chasing the threads, the rotor bolt made up all the way.

So, I don’t know if it was the loose nut on the shaft or the rotor bolt not completely made up that caused the knocking, but after making these 2 changes, it washes without knocking. Hope this may help others.

Charles

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Charles, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for letting us know!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.