• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.28902790 Neverending rinse cycle on Kenmore 90 series

Kevin Dahlquist

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi there!
So I have an old 90 series washing machine that's started to get intermittent washing success. What sometimes happens is that it gets stuck midway through the rinse cycle and instead of proceeding to the spin cycle it will just pour water down the drain- sometimes all night and until somebody notices and then bumps it onto the spin and then it will continue to the end.

In my head I was thinking maybe a drain valve isn't shutting and allowing it to fill properly (presuming there is a "full" trigger somewhere so it knows when to stop). I feel like it happens more often on larger loads. Anyway, I've since been researching and though I think the safety switch is broken (to my surprise!)and will be replaced- I don't think that's actually the culprit here as it sometimes works, and the symptoms of that problem don't align with this use from what I've read. Also, that switch seems to have broken such that the switch is shorted and not open so it ought to think the lid is always closed.

Anyway, this is probably straightforward to someone familiar, but so far I haven't found an accurate guide that address this particular symptom. So far I'm thinking maybe:
1. The timer.
2. A drain/pressure valve?
3. That safety lid switch (in spite of comment above).

Thanks for any advice!
-kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kevin,

We need the model number of your washer, the model number tag is under the lid.

Draining while filling in rinse usually means its siphoning out the water from your drain hose. Make sure your drain hose is as high as the top of the washer before it goes into your home standpipe(drain). Also make sure you don't have any kind of duct tape covering the end of the drain hose where it goes into your drain, you need air in the drain to stop the siphon.

If it wasn't siphoning it would be overflowing out the top of your tub and flooding your floor.

Jake

Kevin Dahlquist

Premium Member
Ok:
Kenmore 90 Series
Model#110.28902790

So I'm not certain that's the problem yet but I'm certain it's a helluva good guess! I put it together with a rubber plumbing adapter and the siphon possibility never occurred to me. I just went down and installed a little capillary tube along with the rubber hook hose, so we'll see if that works. I was thinking the water gets "pumped" out centrifugally during the spin cycle, so the chance of a siphon at work never really crossed my mind. Thanks for the tip!
-k
PS. I still have no explanation for the safety switch- this is just a point of curiosity now, but as the end was broken off I would expect it to always operate as though the lid was open, and that doesn't seem to be the case. Weird. I fixed it anyway this afternoon so I'll be additionally curious to see if there is an effect.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Kevin for the model number.

I was thinking the water gets "pumped" out centrifugally during the spin cycle
If the motor was running in spin then the drain pump would be draining the water, as the drain pump is attached to the motor. So it if was filling while the motor is running in drain/spin then yes, the motor would be pumping the water out as it fills.

But in just a rinse cycle fill, water is coming in and motor shouldn't be running on fill, until the tub fills to water level you have it set at.:)

Yes, let us know!

Jake