FIXED 110.28912790 Kenmore 90 Series DD fill device spill problem

Johnsonad

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

I've been rebuilding a Kenmore 90 Series 3 speed DD washer part by part. My latest problem is when the washer if filling, water is coming up and over the top of the tub splash guard on the back of the washer. Today I had maybe 8 Oz of water on the floor and some on the back of the metal base. If I pull the tub up in the front it centers the tub and it has clearance and fills correctly. Its when the tub is sitting toward the front of the unit that I get the water coming over the back of the tub splash guard.

I've replaced the three primary springs and the balance spring along with all six of the plastic snubbers. Is there an improved fill spout that I should consider or is there an easy way to direct the water into the tub without it having the potential to go over the top of the tub splash guard?

Thank you in advance.

Aaron

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
This is usually caused when the back panel and cabinet are not connected together properly or the water inlet break is not installed correctly. The bottom of the back panel must be connected to the bottom frame without any gaps. If the back panel was bent down backwards while the cabinet was off it needs to be straightened. Make sure the rear self leveling legs are not stuck. They must go up and down by hand easily. The plastic strips attached to the sides of the rear panel hold the back panel to the cabinet and must be installed correctly. Start by screwing the front legs all the way in then tilt the machine forward and then letting it rest on the rear legs.

Johnsonad

Premium Member
Thank you again for your help and detailed explanation. Everything was correct minus the leg height. I had followed the instructions on setting it up and set the front legs to 1". This had not resulted in a fully level unit. I did as you recommended and lowered the front legs as far as they would go and reset the rear legs. This worked. My wife let me know today that both fill cycles on the load that she ran filled without spillage. Thank you for you assistance!

Johnsonad

Premium Member
We had a continued problem with ultimate resolution. The machine when spinning, would move across the floor. Not completely off balance, but enough to cause problems.

I removed the cover and noticed that the back alignment holes were bent up on the cover (i call the cover the metal housing around the unit). I used a hammer to flatten the raised areas resulting in a flat base all the way around. After straightening the frame pins and replacing the cover paying attention to your points with aligning the back, the machine worked as it should. I suspect the metal cover wasn’t providing stability when the frame isn’t holding the cover in place with pins. Now, it functions with minimal movement.