FIXED 110.28912790 Kenmore Washer motor problems

Johnsonad

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I picked up a used Kenmore 90 series direct drive three speed washer. It seemed to work fine when I picked up up dry. I stripped it down and overhauled the washer. Clutch, transmission, brake and coupler all are in good condition and when I manually turn the coupler on the tranny side, it spins freely. The drain pump spins well too.

I noticed that the motor shaft was difficult to turn the first time I had the motor out. After rebuilding it, I ran an empty load with water and all cycles functioned though something smelled hot. After the short cycle, the motor was very hot to the touch.

I ran a load with clothes and it stopped mid cycle. When I tried to get it to start, I could hear the motor try but fail to turn. I pulled the motor and it was very hot. The shaft was extremely difficult to turn by hand. After it cooled, it is even harder to turn.

Should I consider anything else other than replacing the motor?

Thank you!

Johnsonad

Thank you for the reply. Already ordered one. This may be a new washer by the time I’m done with it.....

Johnsonad

The new motor took care of the problem. A few more new parts and she will be a new washer. Thanks again for you help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Anytime my friend! That machine will still be working in 2050. I'd make a bet with with you but that's about 30 years longer than me....LOL.