• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.29842991 Kenmore series 80 washer model won't agitate, but does spin and drain

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore series 80 washer model 110.29842991 that won't agitate, but does spin and drain. The transmission shaft will not move (or make a noise) when timer reaches agitate mode. Appreciate your thoughts on what might be causing the problem.

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Rick. Do you have a recommendation on how I test if gear case is bad? Note that the washer still spins fine, just won't agitate. I did see another blog on this site (below) where they had the same exact symptoms as mine, albeit w/ a different model of Kenmore washer. In their case, replacing the timer fixed the problem. Welcome your thoughts.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
After the fill cycle is the motor running or does the machine go dead?

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
Machine goes silent right after fill cycle until timer eventually advances to spin cycle, and then spins/drains water. Agitation mode is being skipped in all cases even when trying on different settings (regular, permanent press, etc.).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, after the fill cycle check for 120 VAC between the blue wire and the white wire on the motor switch.

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
By motor switch, are you referring to Speed Selector switch? (Options on panel are Water Level, Water Temperature, Speed Selector and main control dial to engage washer). Sorry - just not familiar with term. Thanks Rick.

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
I looked at parts diagram and realized it is internally by the motor, hence motor switch. I'll check voltage b/t blue and white wire after fill cycle and will let you know the results. Thanks.

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

I ran the washer per your directions. Had to jumper lid switch wires to operate w/out exterior. In checking voltage b/t blue and white wire on motor switch after fill cycle, the agitator began working (and of course read 120v). I guess that jumpering the blue/white wire on motor switch activated agitator. What are your thoughts based on this finding?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Dittmer

Premium Member
Strangely, agitation is working now and ran thru compete cycle fine. Perhaps a loose wire connection was inadvertently fixed when I was doing my testing. Thanks for the help Rick.