• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.45089404 No response from start button

TonyCA

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Jake. How loud is the "click" made by the CCU? I have a similar HE4t washer (MOD 110.45089404) that worked fine before we left for a three week vacation but now is exhibiting similar "no response from START button" behavior except I am able to successfully run the diagnostics test and the small button/plunger/other on the door switch is NOT broken.

I went so far as to remove the door switch assembly, remove the harness connector to the switch, and use a DMM/voltmeter to verify that pressing the button/plunger/other closed the switch (i.e. provided continuity between the contacts). From your assistance offered to others, I'm assuming maybe my CCU is bad since I do not hear a click when I power the washer, but neither did Dana (member "Danvix").

Also, I do hear a beep when I power my washer and have full functionality of my control panel (i.e. can switch between various wash cycles and can successfully run the diagnostics test), I simply get no response from pressing the START button. Thoughts?

Thank you!
-Tony

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tony,

You should hear a distinct click from the CCU.

Did you locate your tech. data sheet? Its either under the top panel or down at the bottom on the inside right inner cabinet panel, behind the lower access panel.

I don't have the tech. data sheet for this model. Once you locate yours you will see a section that says WON'T START CYCLE.

Did it run through the diagnostics fine?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think I located your tech. data sheet here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/trapm5lngxrih2w/Tech%2BSheet%2B-%2B8182208.pdf?dl=0

WON'T START CYCLE:
1. Open and close the door. The door has to be opened between consecutive wash cycles.
2. Check the door switch/lock unit using the diagnostics. See Diagnostic Test.
3. If door is locked, drain the unit.
4. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
5. Check the wire harness connections.
6. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
7. Check the touch-pad/LED assembly by selecting different cycles and changing the modifiers and options available to confirm the touch-pad/LED is responding.

Also, Do a ohm test on the door lock switch solenoids at the CCU, the CCU is underneath your top panel on the washer. Just unplug your washer first, then unsnap that connector from the CCU and ohm test those pin numbers inside the connector.

Door_switch_lock.jpg

I think there is a typo in that diagram, see if your readings are these below:

Door Unlock Solenoid - Pins 2 & 3 = 60 ohms
Door Lock Solenoid - Pins 1 & 3 = 120 ohms

Jake

TonyCA

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick reply, Jake. To answer your questions:

1) I do not hear a click when connecting AC power to my washer. I even tried with the lid/top sheet metal cover removed and still did not hear a click.

2) After you asked, I was able to locate my tech data sheet (part number 4619 702 26831 / 8182677). Its instructions matched the data sheet you provided via DropBox.

3) Yes my washer successfully completed the "Diagnostic Test" both times I ran it. I am assuming success means it engages the door lock solenoid with a loud click, sequentially steps from C:00 through C:008 filling/draining water and spinning the drum, and finally unlocks the door lock solenoid with a loud click and illuminates the "Clothes Clean" LED? This is the most confusing aspect to me: if this test works why doesnt my washer's START button? Argh!! :p

4) Yes, I am able to select different wash cycles and change the modifiers and options available to confirm the touch-pad/LED is responding.

5) Ohm test matched your typo suspicion: Door Unlock Solenoid - Pins 2 & 3 = 60 ohms
Door Lock Solenoid - Pins 1 & 3 = 120 ohms

What do you think? It still seems crazy to me that the Diagnostic Test is successful but I cant start a wash cycle.

Thank you for your help!
-Tony

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tony, I'm quite puzzled too then.

It seems your user interface is fine and responding except for the start button, and your CCU is fine, and door switch is fine.

The click from the CCU should only occur if the unit does not power up, but yours is powering up but the start button is not responding at all when you press it?

Now I had one last week where I found the plastic had broken off from the user interface for the start button, so remove your user interface and see if that plastic from the start button has broken, if so then you'll need a new user interface.

Here's the user interface for your model you can order if needed:
WP8182996 Electronic Control Board

Do you know how to remove it?

Jake

TonyCA

Premium Member
#$&#!!! I wrote a long, detailed response and when I clicked "post" I got a timeout error and my posting was gone...

So, going from memory:

I disassembled the user interface all the way down to the PCB mounted switches. The plastic "post" that presses the START switch is intact and seems fine. The switch itself makes the same clicking sound if I actuate it via the washer's plastic post or with my voltmeter's probe. The START switch's feel and actuation sound is the same as the switches for the various wash cycles.

I decided to attempt a wash cycle start while in this dissassembled state, and when I first applied AC power the functionality was the same (i.e. everything seems fine, I can change wash cycles, but no response from the START button). I disconnected AC power, removed the plastic post so I could attempt a manual actuation using my voltmeter probe, and when I applied AC power the user interface's display read "09h." I actuated the START switch using my voltmeter probe and nothing happened. I pressed the END OF CYCLE SIGNAL button and the washer beeped and the display went back to whatever wash duration is associated with the selected wash cycle. Searching Google revealed no answers re what "09h" might mean.

I cycled AC power several more times and never saw the "09h" error(?) code again, although I noticed that 3seconds after AC power is applied the washer beeps, displays "SE" and what looks like a lowercase b without the right vertical portion of the o (i.e. an upsidedown, mirrored capital F) for about one second, and then goes to the wash duration time. This is very repeatable, and when thinking back it make have been happening all along.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tony, I don't know what else to suggest, except replacing the user interface. Or buying another machine.

If you replace it and it doesn't fix, send it back for full refund, less shipping cost.

If the CCU was bad, then it wouldn't of run the diagnostics test.

Jake

TonyCA

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. We tried our best. She's been a good machine for eleven years, but looks like it's time to let her rest. I appreciate your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree. Its had a good life.

The machine worked fine before we left for a three week vacation but now is exhibiting "no response from START button"
Its just strange that when you came back from vacation this all started.

Next time you go on vacation unplug it from the wall.:)

You may have had a power surge or power spike while you were gone.:)

Jake