110.47532601 Kenmore He2 Plus Front Loader has small leak near front

Ken Siler

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Small leak near front of Kenmore HE2 Front Loading Washer. Leak is only ~1 oz / load. I replaced door boot, but no change. Although the counter balance weight hide the front of the outer tub, it appears to be coming from between this weight and front of outer tub. I think that there is only 2 reasons that this might happen: (1) door boot leak (replaced), (2) leak around the heater element.

Any ideas?? If I need a replacement part, what is the part#?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ken,

Start a new cycle and you can leave the front bottom access panel off and get a flashlight or droplight and see if you can pinpoint the leak, that would help us help you.:)

Or even take a video of it with your phone and upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

If the door boot is new, I doubt its leaking from there.

Jake

Ken Siler

Premium Member
(Picture) Clue for leak

The attached picture shows the back of the counter weight and the outer tub. Some water appears to be coming down the front of the tub to a low spot just behind the counter weight. The only 2 things that (I know) would cause this is the door boot (replaced) or the from the heater element. Your ideas please.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The only 2 things that (I know) would cause this is the door boot (replaced) or the from the heater element. Your ideas please.
OR a crack in your outer tub assembly, I've seen that many times.:)

You'll need to get a mirror and a flashlight to see behind the counterweight to tell exactly where its leaking from.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WAIT, I don't see a heating element for this model.

Jake

Ken Siler

Premium Member
The heater element inserts into the outer tub via the lower-front for the outer tub. This then get covered by the counter weight. Hence, to see this area, I will have to take the counter weight off the outer drum (a non-trivial effort). But if you think that it is the only way to see the leak source (either heater element leak or tub crack), then I will have to do it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You do have a water temperature sensor.

Here's the water temperature sensor for this model, that could be leaking water. I'm also posting the video.

WPW10467289 Water Temperature Sensor

Here's the video:

[video=youtube;_kH4aAhi8K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kH4aAhi8K4[/video]

Jake

Ken Siler

Premium Member
Correction , but did find a problem

The heater element inserts into the outer tub via the lower-front for the outer tub. This then get covered by the counter weight. Hence, to see this area, I will have to take the counter weight off the outer drum (a non-trivial effort). But if you think that it is the only way to see the leak source (either heater element leak or tub crack), then I will have to do it.
Correction:
Based on diagrams I thought that a heater element inserted into the lower part of the front outer tub. I am wrong, there is no heater element there, nor temperature sensor.

What I did and found:
I took off the front of washing machine and removed the lower counter weight. I looked for water stains. Soon I noticed that the hose from the soap dispenser showed dirt deposits where it joined onto the outer tub. I removed the hose and checked it. I found small holes on 3 of the accordion ridges of the hose at ~ 90 degrees. So the theory is that while it does not appear to leak during the fill cycle, upon the spin cycle the water is thrown back into this hose. allowing a small leak. Hence, I have ordered a replacement dispenser hose and I'll see if this stops the leak. I do not understand how these holes were created.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You do have a temperature sensor on this model.

Its #24 here:
(click to enlarge)
K0607083-00006.jpg

Glad you found where the leak was coming from.:)

Are you referring to this hose: W11366227 Hose

Jake