• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.47532602 Kenmore HE2 Plus - Error code f28

credential

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Good day! I should preface my note by saying that I am quite a newbie here. Fixing appliances is not what I do for a living, but through the help of people like you, I have already managed to prolong the life of a dishwasher and fridge!

I am inquiring on an error code F28 for my 5.5 year old Kenmore HE2 Plus Washing machine (model 110.47532602), purchased new in the summer of 2007. I would say that about 6 months ago, the washer gave an F28 error code during a wash. After powering down, the message code disappeared and things worked again. It happened again about 2 months, but this weekend, it has come back 4-5 times. In all recent cases, I could not get the washing machine to power off after receiving the error message, and I had to turn off power from the electrical panel. The machine would work again for a load or two, but then the error message come back. The error just came back after the first fast spin cycle (I believe this is right before the rinse cycle. I can't seem to get through a load without the error now.

In reading through this great forum, I've discovered that it's likely a communication between the MCU and CCU (although, as a newbie, that's a little technical for me). Here's what I've done so far:

1) took off the lower panel and cleared out the catch drain (there were a few items in there)
2) ran the built in diagnostic test (holding and releasing a button for 4 seconds, etc.) Only error that appeared was the F28. It kept blinking this over and over and over until I hit another button and the machine turned off)
3) I ran the Diagnostic Test and bypassingthe Service History Mode (where it went through a few cycles including filling with water, spinning to similar wash, spinning to simulate dry, empty water. Once it did this, it powered down, with no flashing lights or display.

I haven't tried checking the wiring to the MCU and CCU, partly because I'm afraid of making things worse and partly because I don't have access to the back panel, without pulling the washing machine out completely. If I need to, I can do this.

I'm calling out to all experts for any opinions out there. Are there any other DIY things I should try? I don't mind having a service technician come by, but I'm trying to avoid a repair bill on an almost 6 year old machine if it just makes sense to go out and buy a new machine. Last thing I'll mention is that over the last year, the machine does seems to take a lot longer to get the fast dry spin going. It seems to take a while for the 'ol machine to get up the energy to fully spin it. It makes a constant noise, and maybe every 2-3 seconds the noise pulses extremely loud with a sudden vibration...the vibration goes away and comes back again. Eventually, it spins fast, as it should in the last cycle of the wash. Even when I ran the "Diagnostic Test and bypassing the Service History Mode", when it got to the spin stage, it made this noise while the drum spun slowly...this continued for a minute until it finally gained speed. I never paid attention to it in the past, so I don't know if this is new.

Sorry for the long winded message...thanks in advance for any input you have!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, first disconnect and then reconnect all the wire connectors on the motor, the MCU (Motor Control Unit), and the CCU (Central Control Unit).

Make sure all connectors are seated and are tight. Look for any corrosion or discoloring on the connectors. Run another test cycle.

The washer must be empty and the control must be in the OFF state before pressing the touch-pad sequence to start the test. Close the door.

Select any one key (except STOP) follow the steps below, using the same key (remember the key): Press/hold 4 seconds ➔ Release for 4 seconds ➔ Press/hold 4 seconds ➔ Release for 4 seconds ➔ Press/hold 4 seconds Upon release, all console LED lights will turn on for 5 seconds.

If there are any failure codes, all cycle LED lights will flash and the appropriate Status LED's will turn on.

The Estimated Time Remaining display will display failure code (if available).

NOTES: This program recalls the most recent failure code first. Press the same key to advance to the next failure code. (If the console doesn’t change then the same failure code was stored multiple times.) If there isn’t any more failure codes all the lights on the console will turn on for 5 seconds. Next the washer begins the Diagnostic Test.

To cancel out of service mode press STOP. (This exits you out of the program.) Then unplug the machine for minimum 30 seconds. If the error code returns, check all the wires between the MCU and the CCU and the Motor for continuity with your VOM (Volt Ohm Meter).
Duet Washer Component Location.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
I wasn't sure if I was clear when you're done with the error codes, it's not necessary to run the diagnostic test so just press stop and unplug the machine for 30 seconds.

Philipshepherd

Premium Member
I am having trouble with our he2 plus washer f28 code. I have changed ccu and mcu from other identical working washer, checked all wire harnesses, ohm tested the motor, visually inspected all the harness clips. Still get f28 code 2-3 minutes into cycle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts then follow the link “Help me find my model number”.

rickgburton

Staff member
Looks like you already checked everything.

1. Unplug washer or disconnect power.

2. Check wire harness connections to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU).
– Check connections of the CCU board within the housing.
– Make sure all grounding switches are engaged.

3. Check the drive system for any worn or failed components.

4. Plug in washer or reconnect power.

5. Verify CCU operation by running a Diagnostic Test or any cycle.

6. Check the MCU by looking for operations of the drive motor.

7. Check the drive motor for powered rotations.

8. Check that the serial harness at the MCU is not mounted upside down. The wires should be to the left when facing the MCU connectors.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

WasherBeltz

I found a thread Rick you helped on back from 2007 and 2011: FIXED Kenmore HE2 Gives me error code f28 and missing ring

Philip: Make sure all your access panels are back on, then try it.:)

Jake
THANK YOU!! That's exactly what happened to me. I replaced the belt and left the plates off to inspect the machine and it would turn a couple times, stop and the the error message would still display.

Not until I read this post did I replace the access panels and then the washer ran like a dream. Such a simple solution! Thanks again.