• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.60902990 Kenmore 90 series dryer will not start

Muppetmayhem

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have tested the door switch, thermal fuse, thermostat, motor switch, timer, start switch, outlet. Belt is good. Also checked heating coil & thermostats on that even though I am pretty sure that’s not it. Not sure what else to do. The timer ticks when start is pushed, but nothing else. I suspect motor but it spins fine.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Muppetmayhem said:
I have tested the door switch, thermal fuse, thermostat, motor switch, timer,
How exactly did you test the motor switch and timer and what did you test them for?

Muppetmayhem

Premium Member
So, I am a newbie and have been youtube, etc for help. Testing for continuity.

Timer - removed harness, turned timer off, turned multimeter to ohms, put probes on R & BK & turned timer to 40 minutes.

Motor switch. Attached probes to the outer red wires (top & bottom) after removing wire harness. Pushed back black circle switch to test.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Muppetmayhem said:
put probes on R & BK
Are those the contacts for the motor circuit? I don't have access to the wiring diagram for that model to verify.

If you could post a copy of the wiring diagram from the dryer it would be helpful.

Muppetmayhem said:
Attached probes to the outer red wires (top & bottom) after removing wire harness. Pushed back black circle switch to test.
I'm not certain what function of the motor switch that is testing. The motor switch has several functions.

Has anyone confirmed if 120 volts is getting to the motor?

Dan O.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
First reset both circuit breakers. Your dryer uses a 30 amp double circuit breaker. Turn both off and then back on. When checking continuity always remove at least one wire from the component you're checking.

Unplug the machine and access the timer. Remove the blue wire from the timer and set the timer on timed dry about 40 minutes. Check for continuity between BK and BU on the timer. No continuity or "open", replace the timer.

Here's the timer for your model:
Timer WP3976576

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Muppetmayhem said:
put probes on R & BK
That tests the heating circuit of the timer only, it has nothing to do with the motor running. Try the test Jake suggested to rule out the timer as a possibility for your 'not running' symptom.

Dan O.

Muppetmayhem

Premium Member
Sorry for the delay. Thank you for the suggestions. I reset the circuit breaker more than once. I did also test BK and BU and still had continuity. Not the power cord - I took it off and used it on another machine, which fires up fine. I am likely done with this dryer and will strip it for parts. Question - I acquired a Kenmore 800 (110.67851600) and the thermal cut off fuse is missing. I assume it won't heat without it? Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Muppetmayhem said:
I acquired a Kenmore 800 (110.67851600) and the thermal cut off fuse is missing. I assume it won't heat without it?
There are usually at least 2 thermal cutoffs, one on the heater housing, one on the blower housing. Having one disconnected will stop heat, the other will stop the dryer from running... and of course heating too.

If either are totally missing, plugging it in would either prevent heating or everything, but it could also cause a short but more importantly could present an electrocution hazard!

Dan O.

Muppetmayhem

Premium Member
it's the one on the heater housing. I have no idea what the former owners were doing, but thought it was crazy when I saw it. Did a little research and looks like this part is the same on both model dryers, so I'm going to use the one from the 90 series, since it's pretty new.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Muppetmayhem said:
it's the one on the heater housing.
Did you test the thermal fuse mounted on the blower housing on your original dryer?

Thermal-Fuse-WP3390719-00630764.jpg

Dan O.