FIXED 110.64872400 Dryer drum has extra resistance and does not spin well.

rah

Model
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This weekend I replaced the drum felt seal. Now my drum seems to have added resistance. In fact, when I ran the dryer with no clothes, the motor shut-off after 10-20 minutes. I had my wife try to spin the drum from the inside and she said it was extremely difficult to turn whereas before the repair work it was relatively easy to spin from the inside. I confirmed that even with the belt disconnected, there is probably too much resistance.

In the interest of full disclosure, when I say that I replaced the drum felt seal, I replaced both the front and the rear seals with genuine Whirlpool parts. In addition, I cleaned off a bunch of rust from both the front and rear bulkheads. Since the bare metal was showing, I sanded the affected areas with 100 grit sandpaper, applied a few coats of primer (350938) followed by a few coats of 350930 to mainly the affected areas (the lip and side). (Why did I do this? I didn't want the metal to rust and work its way into the felt again forcing me to replace the felt every few months).

I mention this for two reasons: (1) this required me to disassemble and reassemble a large percentage of the parts in the dryer, increasing the chances of problems (2) the paint job itself may be part of the problem.

Anyway, there are only a few points of contact between the drum and the rest of the dryer, so it seems the resistance could only come from:
  1. problem with the drum support rollers (alignment, lack of grease, reversed)
  2. the paint not being smooth enough
  3. the bulkheads being too "tight" ("squishing" the drum)
  4. the drum felt seals not installed correctly (e.g., too much felt against side of the bulkhead; see previous)

I'm worried it might be the paint job, but wanted to get some opinions before taking the whole thing apart again and try to repaint the bulkheads.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I think you applied too many coats of paint, one coat would of been fine. Lets make sure you installed the rear seal properly first, I'm going to list both drum seals below and the rear seal video.

You may need a new rear bulkhead, unless you can sand down some of that excess paint.

Here's the rear seal for your model:
Felt Seal 280114

[video=youtube;b7bx7AoVRqQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7bx7AoVRqQ[/video]

Here's the front seal for your model:
Felt Seal WP3387242

Here's the rear bulkhead for your model:
W11299301 Rear Bulkhead

Jake

Troyc

Premium Member
What other things might have been done wrong to cause this problem? I have the same issue minus the paint being redone. Took mine apart replaced seals and belts now hard to turn and kicking motor off. Hard to turn by hand but thought I did everything correctly??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Troy, please start a new thread with your model number, this one is almost 5 years old.

The model number tag is located inside the door.

Thanks.

Its possibly a bad motor, Unplug your dryer, then take the belt off and take drum out again and turn the motor pulley by hand and see if its hard to turn both ways. Also see if anything is jammed in the blower wheel, like extra lint. The blower wheel attaches directly to the motor shaft.:)

Jake

Troyc

Premium Member
Haha thanks but I fingered it out on my own. I'm a bumbass and had the felt seal tucked inside the drum in part. Was causing to much pressure on the drum. Took it all apart moved the felt back out and all is good now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Troy, good find. Glad that was all it was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake