FIXED 110.66524500 Dryer running, but not heating or shutting off

aabcdefghii

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Yesterday afternoon I noticed that my dryer was running constantly, even though the timer had advanced to the 0 setting, I clicked it off and thought nothing of it initially. Later in the day after doing some more laundry, I again noticed it had not shut off and after opening the door, the clothes were still wet and cold. So while the dryer is running, it does not stop when the timer gets to 0 and nor is it heating anything.

I removed the back panel this morning and verified the thermal fuse and thermal cut off are both good. I then removed the rear top panel and took out the timer control, I had found a video on YouTube where a guy was having similar issues and after opening up the timer his had burned contacts. I checked my timer and get continuity between the black and red, removing the cover on the timer and all the contacts inside look good.

Assuming I need the timer, then I believe this Timer WP8299774 is the correct part. I am not sure though if it is worthwhile spending $120 on a 10+ year old dryer, when a new one can be purchased for around $400 that is likely more efficient. However, I would like to figure out what is wrong with mine in order to make the decision whether to repair or replace.

Any way to test the timer? Or is there something else I should be testing?

Thanks.

aabcdefghii

Premium Member
Tried to edit my original post, but it either timed out or I don't have enough privileges to do so.

Went back to the dryer and removed the heating element, no continuity across the main terminals, so I inspected the coils and one of them is broken, at the very least it looks like I need a heating element. However, will that also cause the dryer not to shut off?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Now heating

looks like I need a heating element. However, will that also cause the dryer not to shut off?
Depending on the heat setting it is on. On an 'auto' setting the timer will often not advance without heat.

Fix one problem as a time.

JMO

Dan O.

aabcdefghii

Premium Member
This is just on the normal timed setting, 0-60 minutes. The new heating element should be here tomorrow, fingers crossed that gets me up and running, if not will look into what else could be the issue.

aabcdefghii

Premium Member
Fixed. New heating element installed, seemed like it was not going to stop running when the time hit zero, but it was just me being impatient and it shut off as expected.