• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.66712694 Kenmore 70s Series Dryer Timer Not Advancing

johnsojm15

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I'm working with my Whirlpool-made 70s series electric dryer (model number 110.66712694). My initial problem was that the timer would not advance, and the element would not heat. I replaced the timer and replaced the thermostat and thermal cutoff fuses and wires. While the element heats up now, the timer still will not advance, at least in timed dry mode. I'm stuck and don't know what else to check. I can't believe that two separate timers would have the same problem. What else would be keeping the timer from advancing?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
johnsojm15 said:
the timer still will not advance, at least in timed dry mode.
Are you certain it's on a timed setting and not automatic? Please double check.

johnsojm15 said:
What else would be keeping the timer from advancing?
There should be nothing that would prevent the timer from advancing on a regular timed cycle if the main motor is running. A malfunction of the door switch would affect both main motor and timer motor at the same time. According to the wiring diagram there is nothing else that would affect just the timer's operation.

If it's actually on the automatic or 'permanent press' setting that the timer isn't advancing, there's a resister in the control panel that could prevent advancing of the timer. See the following link:

LINK > Sears and Whirlpool Electric Dryer > Automatic Cycles

LINK > 279872 Replacement Power Resister

Dan O.

johnsojm15

Premium Member
Confirmed that the issue is in Timed Dry. Auto Dry seems to work as normal.

When in Timed, the dryer heats and operates normally, the timer just never moves so it runs for as long as I let it. And like I mentioned in the first post, this is the second timer that does the same thing.

Is there a way to test the resistor before shelling out more money on replacement parts?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
johnsojm15 said:
Is there a way to test the resistor before shelling out more money on replacement parts?
Sure, measure its restistance. I believe it should measure around 4,000 to 5,000 ohms. If it has infinite resistance or 0 resistance, it is definitely bad.

However, if the problem isn't with the auto cycle, the resistor has nothing to do with it. It is only in the circuit during on an auto or permanent press setting, no other.

johnsojm15 said:
Confirmed that the issue is in Timed Dry. Auto Dry seems to work as normal.
I don't know how that's possible. Can the knob maybe be installed upside down and actually be pointing at the wrong setting?

The timer advancing at all means the timer motor is good.

If the timer has been replaced to try to correct this immediate problem the contacts of it are very likely fine as well but the particular contacts involved might be able to be tested.

On an auto cycle the timer terminal TM (short for Timer Motor?) looks to switch to timer terminal OR (orange?). On a timed setting the TM terminal switches to terminal WB (white with black tracer?) instead. That's the only difference in the power circuit to the timer motor on those 2 settings.

Dan O.

johnsojm15

Premium Member
A few more cycles of laundry have given me some more clues. Now I'm leaning towards the power supply to the timer being the issue.

First, auto-dry no longer advances either. It did for a couple loads but now has stopped. However, when I turn the timer knob (before starting the unit), I can (sometimes) hear the timer clicking.

So, given that 1) this is affecting multiple timer units 2) the dryer unit still runs and 3) the timer seems to be getting power (as evidenced by the clicking) but not advancing... what the heck is the issue here? Is it a power-to-the-timer thing? I replaced the power cord (from 3 wire to 4 wire) when I moved into my new place in March. I've swapped out the element and the fuses all at least once over the life of the dryer. Is it possible I messed something up with one of those to cause the timer to get less power than needed? Is that even a possibility?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Put the machine on timed dry about 40 minutes. Drum empty and lint screen clean. Start the dryer. If the timer doesn’t advance here’s the part you need:

johnsojm15

Premium Member
I called in the big guns (my much more handy father) on this, and I think we figured it out. After taking the timer apart, we found arc burns on a couple of the contacts. After sanding those clean, reassembling and reinstalling the original timer, I think we're back in business. Turns out both timers (I had ordered a much, much cheaper version of the timer linked above) had the same arc burns. Gee, wonder why the second timer ended up in the scrap heap.

So, if anyone is as stubborn as I am in trying to resuscitate a 20 year old dryer and unwilling to spend $120 on a new timer, check that out. It could be as easy (heh... like this was easy) as cleaning up a few pieces of copper.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It’s a lot easier if you remove the “C” clip around the shaft just above the metal plate. It makes it easier putting the cam back without bending the contacts.