• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.66902692 Series 90 Timer never stops unless door opens

Kendall

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Model: 110.66902692

Good afternoon,

Search results didn't appear to answer it, so here's what I got...

When the door is closed, the timer is running. If we let it, it will turn 360 degrees, run every cycle, shut down the tumbler and heat between each... and do it again to infinity. So when a cycle is done, it will stop like normal. But if you don't open the door, wait maybe 20 minutes or so and you'll hear the dryer fire up again on the next cycle type, i.e. Auto, Timed Dry and Air Fluff. Between cycles, if you listen close, you can hear the timer motor. When the door is open, the timer doesn't run. So in the middle of a cycle, you can stop it by opening the door. As soon as you close the door, even if it was open for minutes, the dryer will fire up again.

A buddy of mine gave me a used motor. Said motors cause 99% of the problems. Frankly I didn't see how a motor could be the problem, but I was willing to try since the price was right and the swap was easy. But yeah... now his motor is in there... and the dryer is still doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Kendall said:
As soon as you close the door, even if it was open for minutes, the dryer will fire up again.
The dryer motor should not start running again after stopping, without the start button being pressed. If it does, either the start switch is shorted or some other component is acting as a bypass.

There is an electronic dryness control used on your model which will allow that to happen. It controls running of the motor and also advancing of the timer. My guess is that that dryness control is likely shorted causing the motor start circuit and the timer motor circuit to always be engaged.

LINK > Kenmore 110.66902692 Dryness Control PCB

You could first check the start switch for being permanently shorted. If not, the electronic control is the only other possibility I can see. That start switch being defective wouldn't cause the timer always running problem so that malfunction would need further investigation

Kendall said:
A buddy of mine gave me a used motor. Said motors cause 99% of the problems.

For the timer NOT advancing, the timer motor is a very likely cause. Your symptom however is the exact opposite.

Dan O.

Kendall

Premium Member
Makes sense. Yeah, I'm thinking the start switch wouldn't normally make the rig start if it were between cycles, so why would it switch on the timer motor? But that's an easy check with the ohm meter. Hope it's not the board, but it seems more logical.

For the timer NOT advancing, the timer motor is a very likely cause. Your symptom however is the exact opposite.

Dan O.
Yep.

I'll get started in the morning.

Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yeah, I'm thinking the start switch wouldn't normally make the rig start if it were between cycles
It shouldn't, no.

BTW. There's a 'core charge' included in the part's price. If you return the old one, you'll get that much back in credit to the purchase price.

Dan O.