110.66912691 Kenmore 90 Series Dryer Problems

steveaux35

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a kenmore 90 series dryer, and I’m having some problems with it and I’m not sure what to do..

About a week or two ago, I noticed that my dryer was hard to spin manually counterclockwise.. didn’t think much of it. Well today I went to use it, and when I went to start the cycle, all I got was the small ‘buzzz’ sound. So I took it apart, vacuumed out as much lint as I could (it’s an old(er) dryer, so there was some lint, but nothing too terrible).. I could spin the blower wheel manually with ease, and the belt looked to be in decent condition... so, with it all apart, I plugged it in and sure enough, it came right on with no problems.. however, I noticed that when the drum came to a stop, it wasn’t very smooth, it’s like it came to a sudden halt, instead of a smooth gliding stop.. I’m not an appliance technician so I have no idea if this is normal or signs of other issues down the road. Also, I noticed that it is still very hard to spin the drum counterclockwise by hand

So as of now, my dryer works, but while I have it all apart and pulled out, are there some other things I should look at? I hear so many stories about house fires caused by dryers so I’m a little paranoid with my new house lol

Thanks for everything

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Take the belt off the motor and turn the motor pulley by hand both ways, it should turn freely and not be hard to turn, if it is and nothing is in the blower wheel keeping it from turning freely both ways, then your motor bearing is starting to go out, and you'd need to replace the motor.

Here's the motor for your model:
279787 Dryer Drive Motor

Video Included in part link.

Let us know what you find.

Jake