• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.66912691 Kenmore 90 series fan stripped, not spinning.

Theirons84

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
About a month ago the dryer started making a terrible racket. Obviously it was something to do with the fan. The dryer stopped making the noise, and stopped drying. Heating element and electronics are fine, dryer is not moving air. Removed fan cover and found fan free spinning, not connected to the shaft.

I suspect there was a bolt or something in the center, it appears to have broken the bolt head off and the bolt threads are still in the shaft. The rattling was whatever piece broke off, which was sent down the dryer vent tube I guess.

I need to know how this assembly works so I can get whatever missing parts to get the fan attached back on the shaft. If I knew that it was just a regular bolt, I would grab one the correct thread size at hardware.

Strange thing is the fan is super loose, but will not come off when pulling it.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The blower wheel screws onto the motor shaft. The square hole in the front is for a 3/8" socket extension (without the socket). The aluminum piece in the blower wheel is stripped in the blower wheel. The only way I've been able to get the blower wheel off when that happens is by breaking the blower wheel off with a hammer and chisel.

Theirons84

Premium Member
So the blower wheel had an aluminum threaded hub that was molded into the center or pressed into the center of the plastic wheel and that is still what is attached to the outside of the shaft?

That makes sense. I do see the square drive for a socket extension in the center of the plastic wheel I was wondering about that.

So at the very least if I have to break the wheel to get it off, I will have to have another blower wheel. Do we have a part number available for that blower wheel?

rickgburton

Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
The blower has left hand threads so if you have a sharp drill bit drilling in the center might spin it off the motor shaft. Put a pair of vise grips on the motor shaft by the belt pulley to hold it. I've had to break every one that I had with that problem. You only need to break it by that aluminum piece. Once the plastic blower comes off that piece you can probably take it off by hand.

Theirons84

Premium Member
Ok, had to break fan as suggested. The metal hub is still on the shaft and is stuck. I ended up taking the whole blower housing off so I could get to the shaft to hold it. Vise grips there, and vise grips on the hub piece. Still won't budge. Have it soaking in penetrating oil right now. Yes, I am turning clockwise to loosen because of left hand threads.

rickgburton

Staff member
soaking in penetrating oil right now.
Heat works much better. Use a Propane or Mapp gas torch to heat it and use a pair of pliers to work it back and forth until it comes off.

Theirons84

Premium Member
Propane did the trick, came loose pretty quick. New blower wheel installed and all is well.

Thanks for you all's continued support.