FIXED 110.67422600 Kenmore 400 series dryer not heating...

mjl1297

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
It runs but it is no longer heating. The wife says it has been "acting up" for a while now. Just need some advice on what to test and how to disassemble the unit in order to do it.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Pull the machine away from the wall and remove the vent hose and the back cover. First check for 220 VAC across L1 and L2 on the power cord terminal block. Then unplug the machine and check the element, TCO, and safety thermostat for continuity.
Dryer-1.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Sounds good. I forgot to add cycling thermostat in that list of things to check.

mjl1297

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Ran the tests today and it appears to be the heating element. I don't see a break in the wiring but the circuit is failing somewhere. Ordered this part--

and it is supposed to be here Wednesday. I shall report back then.

N.B.--Oddly enough the compatibility index on the RC site said this part didn't work on my dryer although the same index on Appliance Parts Pro says it does. I also had it confirmed by a representative at RC that it is indeed the correct replacement part. I went ahead and ordered it from RC since I had a coupon I could use for a lower price.

rickgburton

Staff member
That's the correct element. Did you check the element for continuity? Always remove at least one wire from the component when checking continuity.

mjl1297

Premium Member
Yes there was no continuity on the element.

Replaced it today and everything appears to be fine. Thanks for the help!