• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.67751600 Kenmore 700 series electric dryer: Has heat/Takes too long

jeffmatthews

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
About a 12 year old model. It gets hot but takes 2 full 80-minute cycles to dry towels, jeans, etc. The clothes are not too wet from the washer.

I replaced the coil after it burned about a year ago (it was taking too long even before that). The coil now produces heat.

There is no lint blocking anything anywhere. I checked the lint filter, the blower the exhaust hose, and all the ductwork in the wall and attic to make sure. I ran the dryer when I had the duct in the attic open, and it blew pretty strong. The duct at the roof exit is warm.

I checked the thermostats (correctly, I think). There are 2 at the coil and 1 at the blower. I disconnected the wires to them, tested for resistance, and each had resistance.

I checked the fit of the drum and the felt seals - front and back. It all seems good. The drum spins quietly and smoothly.

The washer/dryer are inside a cubby with bifold doors in the hallway. When the dryer has been running and I open the bifold doors, it's pretty warm. I can't tell where the leak is, but it doesn't seem to be much of one at all. Like I said, when the attic duct was open, it blew pretty hard in the attic.

Here's a pic of the front felt seal. I thought I'd take it because there is a fair amount of lint up in that area. For 12 years of use, I guess it's really not all that much, but I don't know if this is normal or a symptom.

Any thoughts on what I might check next would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's a few other things to check. If you use dryer sheets, check the lint filter screen holes are not clogged with the soap from the sheets. Make sure you don't "kink" the vent hose when you push the dryer back. Make sure the element housing is mounted correctly to the back wall of the dryer. Measure the temperature at the dryer exhaust vent with the vent hose removed. If your meter can't measure temperatures a meat thermometer will work.
Dryer Venting.jpeg

jeffmatthews

Premium Member
Hi, Rick.

There was no issue with the lint filter. Also, the element housing fits properly.

I used a meat thermometer to test. The result is it took about 4-5 minutes to heat up to 170 degrees. Then, it dropped to about 130. Then, it went back up to 170 over the course of maybe 1.5 - 2 minutes. Then, dropped back down to just below 130 and started going back up. I stopped it at that point.

rickgburton

Staff member
My bad, I should have been more clear. Tub empty, lint screen clean, set the timer on timed dry about 40 minutes and select high heat. Start the machine with the vent hose off and put the meat thermometer probe (long part) inside the vent and check the temps every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes. You're sure you have good airflow out the vent, correct?

jeffmatthews

Premium Member
I pretty much did that. I started the dryer on high heat with the vent disconnected. I sat back there while it ran for probably 10 minutes. It cycled up and down twice to where the pattern seemed pretty clear. It climbed to 170 degrees. Dropped to 130. Climbed back to 170. Dropped back to 130. Started climbing back up.

It occurred to me after this test that the only thing left is the exhaust duct. Do you agree?

I checked it all the way up to the roof. There wasn't much of an opening at the roof (could barely feel around with my fingers there). I am going to re-check the exit at the roof.

jeffmatthews

Premium Member
I've disconnected the 4" rigid duct from the roof jack to let the dryer vent into the attic. I did a medium load which dried in about 45 minutes. Not bad, but I'll do some more testing over the next several days and post the results.

Thanks!

jeffmatthews

Premium Member
It's working as it should. Towels and jeans dry in less than 1 full cycle. Now, I have to replace the roof jack. Is there any type of jack which can be installed from within the attic without getting up on the roof? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask before hiring someone brave enough to climb a ladder 2 stories.

Thanks again! Your advice took me straight to the issue!

jeffmatthews

Premium Member
Never mind. The roof jack is okay. It was clogged after all. It had a wire mesh that collected lint and turned it into paper mache. It felt pretty solid like it was all metal. Anyway, I cleared it and removed the mesh. There aren't trees, etc. around, so I'm not too worried about rodents, etc. getting in.

rickgburton

Staff member
I've removed more birds nests then I can count...lol Glad to hear it's fixed. Thanks for the update!