• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.68932792 Kenmore Dryer Won't Run (and I'm at my wits' end)

mattrock

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Two weeks ago I tried to turn on my Kenmore dryer and only heard a loud humming noise and that was it. I started off by cleaning up a TON of lint that within the actual unit as well as the vent and the unit turned on for about 5 minutes and shut off on its own with a slight burning smell. I proceeded to fully open up the unit and changed the thermal fuse, cycling thermostat, checked the belt, greased up the motor (which seems to be turning the fan easily), replaced one of the rollers (that seemed to be slightly jammed as a result of some excess hair & lint), checked the circuit board for any burnt capacitors etc., reset my breaker for over an hour with basically no success at all. What happens now is it will hum if I try to start it the first time and then nothing. If I try to start it a few seconds later it just clicks. If I don't touch it for 24 hours or so it hums and then maybe turns on for three minutes with that lovely burning smell.

I could do the easy thing and hire a service person to come and fix it, but I've gone too far down this rabbit hole to suffer defeat (can you tell that I'm stubborn? lol). Any suggestions you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I've attached some pictures of the unit for reference.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:

mattrock

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply @rickgburton. I'm guessing that definitely is the problem then? The motor itself looks like it's in decent condition, but I guess looks can be deceiving.

mattrock

Premium Member
One thing I'll add is that the drum spins clockwise when I do it manually but doesn't move counterclockwise. Likely a dumb question, but is this normal? I see a lot of people saying they're able to turn their drum counterclockwise.

rickgburton

Staff member
The dryer drum should turn freely in both directions as should the motor pulley. Because the blower has curved blades to push the air it sounds like something is caught in there so it turns one direction against the rounded curves of the blower blades and in the other direction against the tips of the blades. If that makes sense.

mattrock

Premium Member
Yes, that does make sense. Do you think it's a good idea for me to disconnect the motor from the blower to see what could be obstructing it?

rickgburton

Staff member
think it's a good idea for me to disconnect the motor from the blower
All you need to do is remove the front panel and the blower is right there under the lint filter housing

mattrock

Premium Member
So I removed the front panel and cleaned up a very small amount of lint in the blower. I also adjusted the belt around the drum into the pulley and am now able to turn the drum both clockwise and counterclockwise. Unfortunately, the same issue as before continues to persist; turn the dryer on, it starts to hum, looks like the drum twitches for a second and then nothing. Also, the burning smell is still there. I'm guessing my only option now is to replace the motor, correct? Appreciate your help, btw!

mattrock

Premium Member
So I've replaced my motor and the good news is that it is now back up and running. I followed the instructions from the following video:

The only problem now is that I'm not getting any heat at all, despite the motor functioning and drum spinning well. I ran ohm tests for the thermostats on the heating element and everything seemed to work well, so I doubt they (nor the heating element itself) would need to be changed. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, right off the bat I would say to check the motor connector and make sire it's on all the way. First measure the voltage at the power cord terminal block between L2 (red wires) and L1 (black wires). If the voltage is 220 VAC, remove one of the element wires from the element and start the machine on timed dry, high heat. Measure the voltage from each element wire to cabinet ground. Tell me what you get.

mattrock

Premium Member
Happy to say that I am fully back up and running! A defective thermal cut off was the culprit - which I thought I had tested, but evidently not :) Thanks again for all of your help @rickgburton !