• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.69422801 Kenmore Dryer stops running when start button released

Brianswensen

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore electric dryer that will only run when the start button is held down. It is a pretty basic model, so the only thing in the panel are a timer and the push to start switch. I put a new motor in about six months ago and it worked until last month. I then put in a second motor and it worked for about three weeks. I also have a new PTS switch, timer and wiring in there. Pretty much everything has been replaced.

Voltage does not drop out going into the dryer when the start button is pressed. I also get a constant 120v going from the blue wire at the timer to the neutral wire neutral coming into the machine. It does not drop out when the start button is pressed. The red and white wire ohmd out ok going from the PTS switch to the motor. I can't think of any reason why the motor keeps going out so quickly. Any ideas? Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The red and white wire ohmd out ok going from the PTS switch to the motor.
Check the black wire from the PTS switch to the motor 6M. See if this helps:
Whirlpool Dryer Motor Start-Run Circuit 1.jpgWhirlpool Dryer Motor Start-Run Circuit 2.jpgWhirlpool Dryer Motor Start-Run Circuit 3.jpgWhirlpool Dryer Motor Start-Run Circuit 4.jpg

Brianswensen

Premium Member
Thank you! It will take me a day or so before I can check it again. So it sounds like the problem is either the black wire from the PTS to the motor or the motor itself?

rickgburton

Staff member
Correct, With the door closed you should have 120 VAC across 4M and 6M constantly and between 4M and 5M only when the PTS is pushed.

rickgburton

Staff member
If the motors are OEM they are pretty reliable motors. What keeps going out in the motor? Is the problem in the motor or motor switch?

Brianswensen

Premium Member
I'm not too sure if it's the motor or the switch. Just strange either of them are going out so quick unless it was something other than the motor causing it. Although changing the motor/switch fixes the problem for a while every time.

rickgburton

Staff member
Same motor in that came out? Same part number? If the voltage is correct and the motor is installed correctly there is nothing that can wear out a motor that quick. The motor switch is a different story. Where are you getting the motors from?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Rick, I've never had two or three of these dryer motors go out like that in a short amount of time.

Here is the OEM motor for your model you can order here:
279827 Dryer Drive Motor

Jake

Brianswensen

Premium Member
Same motor in that came out? Same part number? If the voltage is correct and the motor is installed correctly there is nothing that can wear out a motor that quick. The motor switch is a different story. Where are you getting the motors from?

You're right, I don't think it's the motor, but rather the switch. I have been using part number 279827. I put the new one in today and it is running again. All voltage checked out. For future reference, if the voltage coming into the machine and through the timer is correct, where else could the incorrect voltage be coming from? Thanks again for all of your help.

Brianswensen

Premium Member
I installed the new motor about three weeks ago and it is still running fine. However, now the timer gets stuck with about eight minutes left and the dryer will run forever unless manually stopped. I'm going to switch out the timer, unless there is something else I may be missing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I installed the new motor about three weeks ago and it is still running fine.
Wonderful, glad to hear that!

However, now the timer gets stuck with about eight minutes left and the dryer will run forever unless manually stopped. I'm going to switch out the timer, unless there is something else I may be missing.
Does it do it on both TIMED DRY and AUTO DRY?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In AUTO DRY the timer only advances when the heater has cycled OFF.

But try TIMED DRY first and see if the timer advances to OFF.

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
Thanks Rick for the pics of the start/run process in post#2. I have long understood how it works but never seen such a great set of pics explaining it.