• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.70712990 Kenmore gas dryer heats up first for 3 minute only and idles away with no flame and no cycling

yingtixu

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I am new and hope to receive helps from anyone. I have an old Kenmore 70 series gas dryer (model 110.70712990) which heats up first for about 3 minute and then the machine idles away with no flame and no cycling. I checked the cycling thermostat and coils with no problems. I even changed the cycling thermostat and cleaned up the air flow channel. But the problem still stays. Please let me know what I should check next. Many thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem is the gas coils have gone bad mechanically. The can ohm test good, but still go bad mechanically.:)

Here's the gas coil kit for your model you can order:
Gas Valve Solenoid 279834

Watch this video to replace them:

Jake

yingtixu

Premium Member
Thank you very much Jake. I will do what you suggested. Vic
Hi Jake,
Before replacing the coils that you suggested me to do for the heating problem with my Kenmore gas dryer 110.70712990, I would like to provide you with some additional information about the abnormal behavior of my dryer. With these information, you might think some other parts are also needed for a replacement.

The dryer can heats up (ignites and fires with a flame) after it sets aside for a while. But before the machine temperature completely cools down, it will not fire with a flame again even ignition grows normally with cycles. Does this phenomenon indicate the heating problem is temperature related? Thank you.

Vic

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, replace the gas coils. Also make sure your vent is not restricted to where it vents outside.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Vic, keep us posted.

Jake

yingtixu

Premium Member
The problem is fixed by replacing the gas coils such as suggested by Jake. Thank you very much Jake for your professional help. Very accurate diagnosis!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Vic, glad to hear the new gas coils fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake