FIXED 110.70912990 Gas dryer wont start, How to remove back console panel

buffaloguy

Premium Member
Beautiful picture. Do you have something that will show me where 4M, 5M, and 6M are? That'll make it easier to test. Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I think this is the same as yours:
WP Motor Switch.jpg

Where in Jersey? I'm from Hunterdon County.

Last edited:

buffaloguy

Premium Member
Just tested these. All were 120 VAC.
Dryer plugged in, door closed, timer set to timed dry about 40 minutes. Meter set to measure VAC. Here's your voltage pinouts:
BU on the timer to the CO (common) terminal on the PTS switch = 120 VAC
BU on the timer to GY on the timer = 120 VAC when the PTS switch is pressed.
BU on the timer to WB on the timer = 120 VAC when the PTS switch is pressed.
Next step is the broken belt switch and the motor. That's for tonight. Any thoughts on what this means so far?

rickgburton

Staff member
buffaloguy said:
Any thoughts on what this means so far?[
The problem is either the broken belt switch or the motor (or a broken wire or bad connection on the motor).

If you have drum out the belt switch won't be closed. You can hold it closed with a finger but you'll run out of hands to measure voltage. Instead of taking voltage measurements and with the machine unplugged, check the belt switch for continuity. Disconnect the motor connector. Check for continuity between the blue wire in the connector (M4) and BU on the timer. Then check between the white wire in the connector (might be OR/WH) and CO on the push to start switch. If they all check good for continuity, the motor is getting supply voltage but not working. It's bad. You can double check the motor by connecting a cheater/test cord and supplying 120 VAC direct to the motor

Last edited:

buffaloguy

Premium Member
I took off the cover so I could test continuity/voltage. I discovered that the drum belt was broken. To confirm that the motor was OK, I took off the front panel and removed the drum. I remounted the front panel reconnected the wires, and plugged in the dryer. I then looped the broken belt under the pulley, pulled up until it clicked, and pressed the push to start button. The motor whirred, the blower fan started, and the igniter glowed red. Appears to be a broken belt. Did I miss anything?

Any suggestions on how to reach the pulley when the drum is installed? It's behind the blower motor. Do I just reach around and try to do it by feel?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
I forgot about it. It's easy to do for us old guys because machines never had belt switches or thermal fuses. The first dryer I worked on was a piece of rope and a couple clothes pins...lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The first dryer I worked on was a piece of rope and a couple clothes pins...lol
LOL, yes those were the good ol days, and it was probably located at a house on Easy Street!

Jake

buffaloguy

Premium Member
I installed the drum belt easily. Dryer runs well.

I'm unable to return the new timer switch, which I'd only used for testing and which works just fine. Is there a market for such parts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent buffaloguy, glad to hear that!

Thanks again Rick!

I'm unable to return the new timer switch
You can return it for a full refund, less shipping if you bought it at AppliancePartsPros or RepairClinic.

Just tell them you ordered from a link on our site and they will know.:)

Jake

buffaloguy

Premium Member
When I called last week(?) about the dryer, they said they wouldn't accept the return because I'd put the part onto the dryer to test it. Would they give me a break if I called them back to say I was referred by this forum?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, we have a special arrangement with them and RepairClinic, even if its a electrical part already installed.:)

Jake

buffaloguy

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

My wife called AppliancePartsPros last night to ask about returning the part. The woman my wife talked to there had never heard of applianceblog.com and wasn't aware that applianceblog.com enabled any exceptions to the no-return policy for electrical parts. My wife had been put on hold a couple of times during the conversation. Presumably the woman was checking with other folks. My wife called around 10:30pm ET, so perhaps the knowledgeable people had left for the day.

Is there a particular person we can talk to or refer the agent to when we call again?

Thanks,

Buffaloguy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
PM me your order number and I will get this going for you.

Jake