110.72802101 Kenmore Gas Dryer heats, then turns off, then turns on again. (Igniter flame turns on then off)

Flassy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hey, I have a Kenmore gas dryer and the igniter and the flame turns on, but after some seconds it turns off, then it turns on itself (it lits back on). I changed my coil and cleaned all the vents but it still keeps happening. Is it a thermostat problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Pull the dryer out from the wall, then remove the exhaust from the back of the dryer vent, then start a TIMED DRY cycle with NO CLOTHES in it, and lets see how long the flame stays ON.

Jake

Flassy

Premium Member
I did that, but it still turns off then turns on again after some time. Around a minute.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, when the flame starts its a strong flowing flame? Not a Lazy Flame?

If the cycling thermostat was the problem the flame wouldn't come on at all.

It sounds like the gas valve is the problem if the flame is NOT Lazy.

Here's the gas valve assembly for your model:
W10823508 Burner-Gas

Jake

Flassy

Premium Member
The flame is pretty lazy after it lit agains. But after it comes back again, it only last for 1 seconds then goes again, then comes back again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it sounds like the gas valve assembly is the culprit.

This is 2002 or 2003 model dryer, so its much older than 10 years old, It may be more wise to save your repair money for a new dryer, as that gas valve assembly is not cheap.:)

And other parts like the motor are wearing as well and its only a matter of time till your motor goes out too, and that's not cheap either.:eek:

Most appliance stores have already started their 4th of July blowout sales now:

Jake