110.72872101 Kenmore 80 Washer topload, no longer spins

LvElectric Guy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Good afternoon everyone,

I was wondering if I could have some tech support on my washing machine. It has been acting up recently and it's becoming frustrating. The machine has issues spinning and agitating. I'd load it full of clothes and select the cycle, pull out the knob and it wouldn't do anything. The timer would continue to make noise, but it wouldn't agitate the clothes. other times it would agitate, after a few tries, but it would stop at the spin right after it rinsed. I called a buddy and he said it could be the washer lid switch, so I zip-tied the switch closed. That took care of most of the issues for a while, but today when I tried to run the spin cycle on some towels the motor did not kick in. The timer continued to click but nothing else happened.
I want to check with you guys before I buy a new timer.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You posted the model number of your dryer, please post your washer model number.:)

Thanks!

I called a buddy and he said it could be the washer lid switch, so I zip-tied the switch closed.
You mean you by-passed it?

Jake

LvElectric Guy

Premium Member
Thanks for the Reply!

Yes, the switch is bypassed so to speak, its mechanically locked to the closed position. I will edit the Model number now as well.
Thank you again for the reply!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the switch is bypassed so to speak, its mechanically locked to the closed position.
Ok, Its better that we electrically bypass it just to be sure.

Use both hands and try to get your fingers under the front of each console end cap and pull. It will unsnap from the console. Remove the two screws the end cap was hiding, one in each end cap. Reach behind the console on each end and pull forward and up. Fold the console back against the wall out of the way. Disconnect the lid switch connector on the right side of the top. Take a small piece of insulated wire with the ends stripped and bend it in the shape of a "U" and temporarily bypass the lid switch by shorting the the two wires in the connector. DO NOT SHORT ANYTHING TO THE GREEN WIRE.

If after doing that, then we know for sure the lid switch is bypassed properly, and IF it still does what its doing now, then we know for sure the timer is bad.:)

Here's the timer for your model:
WP3952990 Timer

Jake