110.82174110 "Vintage" Kenmore Washer Agitator Issues

amandela

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi. My mom has a Kenmore 110.82174110 washer.

For a while now, the machine would leak on maximum load. She has been circumventing the issue by running a slightly less-than-full load.

But recently the agitator started having problems.

If she fills the tub to full/near full with only water, it agitates fine. If she then adds clothes, it tries to weakly swish a couple of times then gives up.

She is, however, able to run a half load without any trouble.

I thought it might be the agitator dogs. The agitator seems to spin both directions while sitting in the machine. So I detached it to see if the dogs were worn.

But out of the machine, I think the dogs are visible right under the rinse dispenser and the teeth seem very fresh and catch just fine. The top half does not spin freely out of the tub. So maybe the entire agitator spins both ways in the tub but that's normal when you turn it manually.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Maybe the motor? But they don't make the motor anymore.

Thank you.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If the bottom part of the agitator is OK, you need everything below the 7/16" bolt. Parts are NLA. On a full load if the leak is running off the base plate you need to replace the center seal.

amandela

Premium Member
If the bottom part of the agitator is OK, you need everything below the 7/16" bolt. Parts are NLA. On a full load if the leak is running off the base plate you need to replace the center seal.
So I think you're saying the agitator dogs are fine but I need some other parts, which are no longer manufactured. Basically, my mom is hosed, right?

And I guess she will only be able to run a half load going forward so she won't need to worry about the center seal. Is that right?

Just out of curiosity, what would be "everything" below the bolt?

Thank you so much.

rickgburton

Staff member
amandela said:
....agitator dogs are fine but I need some other parts,..
Your machine doesn't use "dogs". It's actually the ratchet system that led to dogs. It has two levers that push the clothes mover in one direction. At one time the parts came in a kit but no longer. These are the parts you need

Snapshot_1.jpg

It might be possible to change that style agitator with the newer style that's on a direct drive machine and uses dogs but I'm not sure.

amandela said:
Basically, my mom is hosed, right?
That machine is 40 or more years old and they stopped making parts for it 20 years ago. Your mom got her money's worth out of that machine. So hosed? I think not, more like lucky. If you can't get the clothes mover from a newer machine to work you can tighten the 7/16" bolt down onto the ratchet assembly so the entire agitator (top and bottom) agitates.

amandela said:
.....only be able to run a half load going forward so she won't need to worry about the center seal.
A leak is a leak. They don't get better they get worse. I'm just guessing where the leak is. You'll need to see where the leak is coming from. On that old of a machine the top part of the outer tub where the seal and clothes guard sit,could be rusted. That too can cause a leak on a full load.. So put it on a large load, start it, get a good flashlight, and see where the leak is.

amandela

Premium Member
If you can't get the clothes mover from a newer machine to work you can tighten the 7/16" bolt down onto the ratchet assembly so the entire agitator (top and bottom) agitates.
Thank you again.

I don't quite understand what is causing the problem. Is the whole agitator broken? I am confused because she is able to do half loads and full "empty loads." Can you explain what part of the agitator is broken even if I would need the entire assembly?

And could you tell me which are the levers you're talking about in the diagram?

So, for sure, it is not the motor, right? It's not the case that the motor is becoming weak so it cannot handle churning the agitator at full capacity but can handle a light load?

Thank you.

rickgburton

Staff member
amandela said:
Is the whole agitator broken?
Just the top part. It's called a "Clothes Mover"
amandela said:
.....explain what part of the agitator is broken ....
Not actually broken, part #43, #44 and #45 are worn
amandela said:
And could you tell me which are the levers you're talking about...
amandela said:
it is not the motor, right?
Right