• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.82832100 Kenmore Dryer Handle Broke

edee_em

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I posted earlier thinking I had a problem with a thermistor in my dryer. The thermistor was not the issue as it tested (resistance not continuity for thermistors) good and all other thermostats etc tested good. I also tested the windings on the motor and they were within spec. What I did notice, after total disassembly of the dryer is that the motor was pretty covered in lint. I vacuumed off what I could but then took the motor out and took it outside to blow it out with my air compressor. The dryer has been working on all heat settings and is no longer shutting off mid cycle. Looks like the motor was overheating (total guess on my part) and shutting off.

While this issue was not able to convince me to buy a new washer/dryer set my latest issue may force me to do just that.

I have a Kenmore washer (He3t) and dryer (He3) set from the turn of the century (I love saying that!). The door handle of the dryer came off in my hand the other day. When I took the door apart to get to the handle screws for replacement I noticed that a lot (3 out of 6) of the plastic posts that accept screws that hold the door outer frame (plastic) onto the inner door frame (metal) have broken rendering them useless to hold the screws again. The posts for the door handle are okay.

I was thinking that I would need to "rebuild" these posts using something (help) or somehow (help). Bondo, plastic, ???? keeping in mind they would have to hold screws. Would longer screws work? Double sided tape? Anything? Thoughts? Thanksr

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the door outer frame (plastic) for your model:
WP8519326

It looks to be out-of-stock everywhere.

I was thinking that I would need to "rebuild" these posts using something (help) or somehow (help). Bondo, plastic, ???? keeping in mind they would have to hold screws. Would longer screws work? Double sided tape?
Those are good questions, but I don't know what you could use.

I've always been able to get the door outer frame (plastic), when that broke and the door handle came off.

Rick may know, but he's out of town.

Jake

edee_em

Premium Member
Thanks for responding Jake. I saw a few videos on the problem and people were using epoxy mostly with some type of mold made around the post. Some even coated the screws with Teflon or wax and placed them in the epoxy to recreate the threads . Thought it all was pretty interesting but if you look closely at the posts on this door they have fins acting as supports for the post meaning I, and I stress I, would find it difficult to create the cast without cutting off the fins which then leaves the post without support.

So off to the internet to find the part and you are correct in noticing how difficult it is to locate. I did get lucky as a parts place up here had it in stock so I ordered it. Very expensive piece but supply and demand, I guess.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, glad you found it, let us know how it goes.

Jake

edee_em

Premium Member
So, apparently, finding the outer door frame was the easy part... I didn't even think about screws for the frame being so hard to find!! "Sold out, not in stock, special order, discontinued by manufacturer", etc. Don't ask me how I am missing screws (I guess as posts broke over the years the screws that couldn't be affixed made it to the bottom of some location that I can't think of for the life of me) but I am short about 4 screws. They are the ones needed to attach the door frame to the metal inner door. I believe the model number is STD601105 but I could be wrong as there are other screws listed as parts for the door. They show a different model number for the door handle, which I also need.

I was wondering if there is a good substitute that people are using with success. It has to be a screw that can go into the plastic posts on the outer door frame. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know a good substitute for those screws, sorry.

Hopefully another tech. or member does and can post them here for you.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
edee_em said:
I believe the model number is STD601105 but I could be wrong as there are other screws

That look like a Sears alternate part number. Appliance Parts Pros suggest Whirlpool screw # W10850046 be purchased with the door part linked above and handle.

image.jpeg

They don't look like an overly special self-tapping screw. Have you tried taking a sample to a good local hardware store to see if they have anything close? If not, those screws look to be $7ea. from a Canadian Whirlpool dealer.

BTW. Screws are not usually the type of part to wear out so there's little need for anyone to carry such things in stock locally. Don't be surprised if they have to be specially ordered in.

Dan O.

Last edited:

edee_em

Premium Member
Not paying that much for a screw. Actually found some thread rolling screws at Amazon that look exactly like the original whirlpools. They worked flawlessly too. Lesson learned: don't ever throw a screw into the bottom of a tool bag and hope it will be there when you need it!!