FIXED 110.85866400 Kenmore elite dryer not heating

Garet1212

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Electric dryer won’t heat and I’ve replaced the heating element and it still won’t work

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you first check your dual breaker in your home breaker box to make sure one is not tripped? I've seen that happen a lot on my service calls, if one is tripped and one is not, it will run but never heat.

If your dual breaker is not tripped, then pull your dryer out from the wall, then unplug it, then check your terminal block where your power cord connects to.

I see that happen a lot too, look here:
(click to enlarge)
FriedWires.jpg

Terminal Block WP3397659

Terminal Kit 279318

When you click the links to the terminal block and terminal kit you will see HOW TO videos.

If you see no broken wires at the terminal block, then The first thing I always do is use my multimeter to do a volt test at the dryer terminal block, where the power cord connects to it.

First make sure your getting 230-240 volts at the terminal block in the back of your dryer. The outer wires are hot, middle wire is neutral. So put your volt meter probes on each of the two outer wires at the terminal block and see what your meter reads, you should get 230-240 volts between the two outer wires on the terminal block.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you see if you were getting 240 volts at the terminal block with a multimeter?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Its possibly going to be the thermal cut-off or high-limit thermostat, those are both mounted on the side of the heater housing.

Check those for continuity with your ohm meter with the wires removed from those 2 first, make sure you unplug your dryer first.:)

Here's the thermal cut-off and high-limit thermostat for your model you can order(both come together in the kit):
279973 Thermal Cut Off Kit

When you click the link to thermal cut off kit there is a video that shows you where they are and how to replace them.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Garet1212

Premium Member
It’s the thermal cut off! Thank you very much! Do you happen to know what would cause that to go bad??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Garet, glad that was it.:)

Ok, what causes the thermal cut-off to blow is you have a vent restriction either in your vent exhaust hose in the back of your dryer or outside where the vent duct exits the hot dryer air outside. Pull your dryer out from the wall, then check that vent exhaust hose for lint clogs, and go outside your house and do the same where it vents outside.:)

Jake