110.85866400 Kenmore Front Load Dryer Not Heating

Chris Avy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore Elite front load dryer is not heating at all. Here's what I've done to try and fix it:

1. Cleaned the vents
2. Replaced the heating element
3. Replaced the thermal cut off
4. Replaced the thermostat high-limit
5. Replaced the thermal fuse
6. Checked the voltage on the back of the dryer on the terminal block. . .getting 240 VAC and 120 VAC as it should which tells me the dryer cord is good.
7. Checked the voltage at the circuit breaker and I'm getting 240 VAC there as well.

What else could it possibly be? The only two things I haven't replaced are the thermistor and control board.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

Yes, the only part left is the control board. I've never seen a bad thermistor not make it heat at all.:)

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
WP8546219 Control Board

You get $60 cash back on your credit card when you return the old one.

If you want to verify that, Rick made a great diagram that shows you how:

Start the machine on timed dry high heat for about 40 minutes. On the control board measure the voltage across P1-2 (white wire) and the black wire on the heater relay then across P1-2 and the red wire on the heater relay. Your meter should indicate 120 Volts AC for both measurements.

Here's Rick's diagram:
(click to enlarge)
GEW9200 Board.jpg

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Chris Avy

Premium Member
Jake,

I checked the control board as you suggested and I’m getting 120 VAC as I should over the black and red wires on the heater relay.

I thought for sure the control board was bad when I inspected it. Look at the picture I posted. It appears the black terminal wire had melted, but there’s 120 VAC there.

Any other suggestions???

Chris

Attachments

Chris Avy

Premium Member
I also hooked the wires together from the thermistor and the dryer gave me the E2 error code which makes sense.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chris, Its your control board that's bad.

Unplug your dryer then take those two wires off of the black relay marked HEATER, Then jump that heater relay(JUST AS A TEST) and see if the heater comes ON. Don't cut the wires, just join them together and use black electrical tape to secure them together.

Be Careful not to touch any other wires when working with live electricity.

If the heater does come ON and continue to stay ON, you will need to order and replace the control board.:)

Jake

Chris Avy

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I will test this out tonight and let you know. However, I thought if I checked the voltages to the heater relay and got 120 VAC that the control board was good???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No that just means your getting the correct power to that HEATER RELAY, but clearly in your photo that HEATER relay is damaged and melted, and will not make it heat.:)

Jake

Chris Avy

Premium Member
Jake,

Well, need your help again. I got a replacement control board. That worked! The problem is that it worked a few times after I installed it, then for one load of laundry. Now it's back to not heating anymore. I checked the thermal fuse and that didn't blow. All the other parts are new as well, but I did check them out.

I tried to check the voltage from the black and red wire that go into the heater relay and I was getting 9 VAC. So I'm thinking the issue is stemming from there. But I have no idea where those two wires come from and what's providing the voltage. Maybe it's from the terminal block? I did check that the circuit breaker panel is providing 240 VAC and I checked the voltage at the terminal board as well and I'm getting 120 and 240 VAC as expected.

Any other thoughts?

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you get the control board at?

Ok Chris, do this again: Start the machine on timed dry high heat for about 40 minutes. On the control board measure the voltage across P1-2 (white wire) and the black wire on the heater relay then across P1-2 and the red wire on the heater relay. Your meter should indicate 120 Volts AC for both measurements.

Jake

Chris Avy

Premium Member
Where did you get the control board at?

Ok Chris, do this again: Start the machine on timed dry high heat for about 40 minutes. On the control board measure the voltage across P1-2 (white wire) and the black wire on the heater relay then across P1-2 and the red wire on the heater relay. Your meter should indicate 120 Volts AC for both measurements.

Jake
Bought the control board off of eBay. I'll check out the voltage across what you suggested above and report back.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bought the control board off of eBay
That's the problem Chris, many members get faulty parts from ebay, send it back and get your money back and order it from my link above, and I'll guarantee it will fix it permanently.:)

Jake

Chris Avy

Premium Member
Jake,

I checked the voltage between P1-2 and the red and then P1-2 to the black wires and I'm getting 120 VAC for each of those. So that means something is waunky in the control board, correct?

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Chris, like I said above the control board you got from ebay is bad.

Jake