• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 110.86873100 Kenmore Dryer does not shut off - resistor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillside333

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello all…

We have a Kenmore Dryer Model 110.86873100 68731 and the dryer does not shut off.

I just received a timer Part Number Dryer Timer 696876 with the resistor kit and do not know how to install the resistor.

It is an in-line part that is https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/696876/2031

There are no instructions and I do not see anything that looks like that part in the control panel.

Can anyone tell me where this goes and how to install it?

Reason for replacing the timer is that the dryer won’t shut off. Seems to be a common problem,

And there are plenty of videos showing how to replace the timer, but I can’t find anything or even a

mention of resistor replacement except for one video showing a small black part next to the timer with two black wires going from the timer to that black part.

After replacing the timer, the dryer still will not shut off.

Thanks in Advance

Rick

Attachments

• Dryer Resistor.jpg
    Dryer Resistor.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 8

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
'Kits' usually come with instructions. Have you tried contacting the RepairClinic help for assistance?

The resister is usually used for automatic timer settings and might replace an original resister that looks like this:

timer-resister.jpg

We would need the machine's wiring diagram to assist you. If you find the one in the machine, scan or post a good quality image of it and we'll see if we can figure it out for you.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Rick posted a picture of what some other timer resisters might look like in a previous forum message.

TIMER RESISTORS.jpg

And some Whirlpool dryer timers had the resister built into them. I'd need to see it's wiring diagram to see if I could determine if your model was one of those.

Dan O.

Hillside333

Premium Member
Thanks For the reply Dan!

First, Yes I have emailed RC for instructions but have not received an answer as yet (Just sent, 1-21-21)
I think the resistor is like your photo in your first reply, but not what was included in the box.
Below is a photo of inside the control panel that looks just like mine
and also the only instruction the person wrote a solution for the relay connections
(Web Link: https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/9m1zjd3pkc-0026-110/id-696876 )
but not sure what terminals he is referring to as he posted no photos
His Reply:

Tricky Time resistor issue​

The price was good but I didn’t figure out until days and hours of research later that the little orange wire, time resistor, was a replacement for the former time resistor in my Kenmore brown head dryer that looked nothing like this new one. Turns out this is the factory replacement at any store and they no longer supply the old resistor. Because it looked so different and there were no directions or videos I returned the product after replacing only the timer and finding my dryer still wouldn’t turn off when the cycle ended. Turns out my dryer wasn’t stopping not only because I needed a new timer, but a new resistor.
If you have a black two nob time resistor that needs to be replaced, take the wires from that and attach them, one on each side, to the orange wired time resistor supplied here. Then tuck it under/in to replace the back panel of dryer without pinching wires. You may only need to replace the resistor and not the timer, which is much cheaper.
This would have been at most a 30 minute fix going slow, but not knowing what to do this took over a week and a lot of research and dead ends.

Again,
Thanks for the reply !

Attachments

• ecec10f1-6f4c-50c5-a187-6117a51181e8.jpg
    ecec10f1-6f4c-50c5-a187-6117a51181e8.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 15

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The resister that came with the timer replaces that original resister design however, if the original is still Ok, it probably isn't necessary to replace it but wouldn't hurt if you did.

That original resister type is not available and is now replaced with the type supplied with the timer.

LINK > Timer Resister for 'Auto' or 'Permanent Press' Advancing Problems

The resister should only effect advancing of the timer on an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting.

Dan O.

Hillside333

Premium Member
Dan O. said:
That original resister type is not available and is now replaced with the type supplied with the timer.
I figured that out, as everyone now supplies that in-line resister, but still no instructions on where/how to replace it.
The reason I need to replace it is because the dryer still does not shut off. It goes to the end of the cycle, buzzes but does not turn off.
Thanks Again !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I found the instructions, I'm attaching it below. Make sure you unplug your dryer from the wall outlet before replacing the timer and resistor!

I circled your resistor in yellow, yours is the round resistor.

ecec10f1-6f4c-50c5-a187-6117a51181e8.jpg

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Attachments

• instructionsheet-279880-revb.pdf
    193.2 KB · Views: 14

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Let us know!

Jake

Hillside333

Premium Member
Hello again Jake and DanO
Got home and following Jake's Instruction sheet I was able to change out the resistor no Problem!
Thanks Millions !
Included in this post are some before and after photos of the wires one needs to change, marked in Red'
The third photo shows the "Bubble" in the old resistor, which made it unusable.
and Lastly the last photo is the wiring diagram from the back of the machine in case anyone wants to see it.

Hopefully this post will help others who need detailed instructions!

Attachments

• 20210125_172344.jpg
    20210125_172344.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210125_173119.jpg
    20210125_173119.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210125_173309.jpg
    20210125_173309.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210125_174309.jpg
    20210125_174309.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 22

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If you still have the old resistor, can you test it to see if it's open or shorted?

Just curious

Dan O.

Hillside333

Premium Member
OK..at work now
Getting that white stuff now, so might have to shovel when I get home...
later today or tomorrow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.