• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.87581110 Sears Kenmore Dryer not hot enough

ewillyb

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Dryer 110.87581110

The flame kicks on in the beginning, stays lit for 12 seconds, then goes out.
Flame stays out for approx 2 minutes, then lights up for 12 seconds.
This happens continuously.
Needless to say, 12 seconds of flame is not enough to heat the dryer adequately.

NOTE: I have replace the gas valve coils with no change in behavior.

The thermal fuse passes continuity test.

The vent and lint trap are not blocked. Plus, I ran the dryer with the vent pipe detached and got the same results.

The timer dial functions normally.

The air flow out the back seems weak, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. So unsure of this. Plus, if the flame is only lit for 12 seconds every 2 1/2 minutes, I don't think even perfect airflow would be enough to dry clothes.

Any tips are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Eric Wet Pants B

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
......the flame is only lit for 12 seconds every 2 1/2 minutes,
Length of time the flame is on will vary. The flame stays on until the airflow across the cycling thermostat reaches 150° - 190° on timed dry, high heat. Measure the temperature at the dryer vent. If your meter can't measure temperature a meat thermometer will work. Replace the cycling thermostat

The air flow out the back seems weak,
Unplug the machine. Remove the lint filter. Remove the two screws by the lint filter. Lay the dryer down on its front and remove the back panel. Remove the 4 (5/16") screws securing the lint filter housing to the blower housing. Lift the lint filter housing off the blower housing and move to the right. That will give you enough room to clean out the blower housing and the lint filter housing.
WARNING: Use caution when cleaning the part of the lint filter housing that sits over the blower. It will be packed with lint that can contain pins, needles, razor blades and lots of sharp edges.

Make sure the holes in the back wall, inside the drum are not blocked. Make sure the lint filter screen is clogged from the soap on dryer sheets. Make sure the rear drum felt seal is still in good shape.

ewillyb

Premium Member
Rick:
Thermometer gets to 100F. No more. You think it is the cycling thermostat?
I'll do as you suggest to improve airflow, but really think it's got to be the flame cutting off so quickly.

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Here's a couple ways you can check it:
A-Set your meter to measure AC volts and go in through the back of the 2 wire connector for the gas valve assembly. Start the machine on timed dry high heat. Once a flame is established it will remain on as long as the gas valve assembly is being supplied with 120 VAC. When the cycling thermostat opens it breaks the circuit to the gas valve and your meter will show 0V and the flame shuts off. If your meter shows 120 VAC and the flame shuts off the problem is in the gas valve circuit. If your meter shows 0V the problem is in the dryer circuit.

B- Take the two wires off the cycling thermostat and short them together. Start the machine on timed dry high heat.
Warning: Do Not short the thermostat heater wires together. Do Not let the temperature go over 150°F.

ewillyb

Premium Member
Hello,

Regarding your advice to Go in through the back of the 2 wire connector for the gas valve assembly...
I'm not sure where the multimeter should be placed.

The gas valve assembly has wires to the flame sensor, ignitor (via connector), and a pair of solenoid connectors. And the unit is in the front.

I've attached a front pic of the gas valve assembly and a back pic of the cycling stat, stat heater, and thermal fuse and a second back pic of the high heat stat.

THANKS SO MUCH. AGAIN.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Push your meter leads into the connector where the wires go into the connector. Make sure the tips of the probe are touching the metal wire end. If your meter leads are too big use this trick:
Snapshot_1.jpg

safety pin 500x250.jpg